Chapter 18: Surprises anyone?

Carlisle sat in the guest room that held Colette's body. She still hadn't moved, nor made a sound. A crease had seemed to form on Carlisle's brow as he worried over his mate.

The smell of her blood had started to affect Carlisle, in turn making Jasper flee the house until the venom, if there was any there, would heal her body, allowing Esme and Rosalie time to clean her wounds.

The house was listening to her heart, the family able to take a large exhale as they heard her heartbeat even out, still pounding loudly for a human. Going from just a flutter to a strong heartbeat, that Carlisle could live with. No physical changes had happened but with the heartbeat alone he concluded that the venom had taken hold.

Carlisle had a fascination in the way the venom affected each member of his family differently. For Esme, life seemed to come back to her body before the coldness and ivory seemed to take over. For Rosalie, her beauty seemed to enhance, small minute things seemed to change, enhancing her beauty before the venom fixed the damage, causing her to be immortal. Edward, his transformation was filled with pain, but also he remembered the venom attacking the influenza that was slowly killing him. Emmett's was more of a physical transformation. He would thrash and yell, but in the end had calmed down as the pain had become too much.

Colette, she seemed to be quiet, her struggle being internal. Carlisle wished for her to move, to yell, to scream, just to do something so he could know she was in transformation.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

Carlisle sat in the guest room, a book in his hand. His worry had settled down, Cole's surgery incisions healing on the second day of the transformation. It was now the third day of the transformation and Carlisle couldn't wait for it to be over. Jasper was able to join the household again, the family's emotions calming down. Rosalie and Esme had bathed her, dressing her in an off the shoulder sage green top and charcoal grey leggings.

Edward stood at the doorway, knocking gently. "Edward?" "I thought you would like to know that I can hear her thoughts again." "What is she thinking?" Carlisle asked his son. "She is still in pain but she can hear your voice. She likes it. She doesn't understand what is going on, but she knows as long as you're beside her, she will be alright." Edward told the coven leader and Carlisle was happy to hear that she still trusted in him. "Thank you Edward." Carlisle said, Edward nodded, stepping out of the room.

Carlisle was about to go back to his reading when he realized something was happening to Cole. Standing up and walking over to her, he saw the wrinkle in her forehead and her nose scrunched up. He had seen this look on her before, When she was in pain.

"Cole, if you can hear me, I know what you are going through is painful, it is alright to let it out." Carlisle said in a whisper next to her ear. A soft whine fell from her lips and Carlisle sighed. He knew she never wanted to look weak, especially in front of those she cared for, so he figured that was about as good as he was going to get.

"It will get better sweetheart, I promise." Carlisle told her. Sitting back down with his book, it was quiet for a little while, until her heart beat rose significantly, beating rapidly, almost as if it would beat out of her chest. Carlisle rose out of his seat, prepared for whatever was to come.

Thump, thump

Thump, thump

Thump, thump

Thump.

Silence...........