Afraid To Fall

credit to cherrygoldenharry on tumblr

description: Part 2 to Falling
You learn to adjust to life without Harry in your life after you broke his heart.

word count: 4k

—————

It starts with voicemails

It starts with voicemails. You were the first to leave one, and it was on his birthday. You were a nervous wreck. You antagonized over calling. It's been nearly two months since Harry's concert in December and neither of you made an effort to reconcile, even if you could. You knew deep down things can't go back to the way things used to be between the two of you. You broke Harry's heart and you're going to live the rest of your life with regret and wondering what could have been.

You don't blame him for not picking up when you called. He wants nothing to do with you. You missed him terribly and it was all your fault. You were scared and Harry called you out on it, and instead of being happy, you turned the other way. It was the biggest mistake of your life and now you have to live with it.

You were a jittery mess as you dialed his number. It took seven rings before you heard Harry's automated voicemail. It made your heart race despite the fact it's prerecorded. "Hey, it's Harry! Leave a message after the beeeeep!" he sang into the phone before it beeped in your ear.

You let out a hesitant breath of air before talking softly. "Hey, Curly," you whispered, "it's me. I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I understand why you didn't pick up. I just... I'm sorry and I miss you. Happy birthday... call me or don't, I understand."

Harry leaves you a voicemail almost two weeks later. You were in the middle of your clinicals when he called. It made your heart jump inside your chest. You were dying to answer but you were in the middle of work and couldn't take any calls while taking care of patients. While you were on your break, you had the chance to listen to Harry's voice.

"Hey, darling," his voice was warm in your ears. "Thanks for the birthday wish, it was weird celebrating without you. I miss you too. I'll come see you soon. Promise."

The voicemail correspondence goes on for another three weeks before they stop altogether. It hurt more than you cared to admit and you got drunk a few times to forget that you were no longer talking, again. You felt absolutely pathetic. He had every right to be mad at you. You broke his heart. Why would he want to go through that again?

You wallowed and threw yourself a pity party before gathering up the courage to leave one last voicemail. You couldn't handle the emotional labor Harry was putting you through. He was giving you what you deserved and you hated every second. You were getting a taste of your own medicine.

Like always, it goes to voicemail. You sniffed quietly and let out a defeated sigh. Tears linger on your cheeks. "I don't know what to say except I'm sorry," you whispered. "You're right. I am scared. I am a coward. I do love you. I shouldn't have pushed you away or said those things. I know there's nothing else I can say. I love you too, Harry. Goodbye."