Pinky Promise

credit to tbslenthusiast on tumblr

description: harry doesn't give his daughter the attention he usually does since he's so busy with work, and tensions rise.

word count: 1.6k

-----

"Daddy, can we get ice cream?"

"Daddy, can we go to the park?"

"Daddy, Olly won't stop putting my dolls in his mouth!!"

"Daddy, can you play with me?"

"Daddy-"

"Ally," Harry warns sternly, taking off his glasses and pinching the bridge of his nose. Your daughter went through phases where she would go to one of you for everything. Most days it would be you, but sometimes it was Harry- and it was always when he was at his busiest and most stressed. He didn't snap at your children often, but he hated being interrupted when he was working. "Go tell your mum. See I'm working at my desk, don't ya?" Your daughter crosses her arms, ready to give her father back the same attitude he just gave her.

"Yes Daddy I can see, I have eyes," she retorts, stomping her foot. "I want you to play with me, I don't wanna play with Mumma. She's gonna make me play with Olly and all he does is put stuff in his mouth." Your six-year-old was still figuring out how to play with her brother, who wasn't even a year old yet.

"I don't know what to tell yeh, Ally bug," Harry mumbles, eyes scanning his email inbox. "Go to your mum, please."

"But Daddy-"

"Allison!"

At the sound of your husband raising his voice at your daughter, you hurry to his office, Olly on your hip. "What's going on here?"

"Daddy won't play with me," Ally tattles, pointing her little finger at her father. "I've been waitin' all day, and he's just reading on his computer instead of playing with me! Then he yelled at me Mumma, and he called me 'Allison'!" Your daughter says her full name with a frown on her face, hating when you and Harry called her by it because she knew it meant she was in trouble. Harry says nothing, not looking away from his laptop.

"It seems like you're upset, bub. Daddy made you upset because he won't pay attention to you, is that right?" She nods, sniffling. You walk over to Harry and gently place a hand on his shoulder. "Harry, Ally is pretty upset that you yelled at her."

Harry looks away from his laptop and at his little girl who was looking at him with big, watery eyes. "I'm sorry I yelled at ya, poppet. Daddy's jus' very busy 'n I promised that we'd have time to play and get some ice cream later, didn't I? Does Daddy ever break his promises to you?" Ally shakes her head.

"No," she replies, wiping her running nose with the sleeve of her shirt. "Do you pinky promise we can play and have ice cream later?"

Harry holds out his pinky, and she intertwines her tiny one with his. "Pinky promise, darling. Now, can you be a good girl and go hang out with Mumma and Olly for a bit? Maybe you can read some of his new books to him?" He suggests, turning back to his laptop. Your daughter doesn't say anything so you grab her hand and guide her towards the door, not wanting to mediate any more arguments today.