Last Christmas

credit to heyyyharry on tumblr

description: in which Y/N and Harry meet again at a Christmas party six months after their break-up.

word count: 3.4k

—————

Y/N knows this is a bad idea

Y/N knows this is a bad idea. No, the worst.

Who shows up at a Christmas party alone anyway? Well, it's her best friend's party, so it's safe to say she's not entirely unacquainted with the place or the guests here. However, her best friend will surely spend the entire night making out somewhere at the back of the room, because unlike Y/N, she's got a boyfriend.

Y/N is not that desperate to be in a relationship, she likes being alone...well, kind of...not really...She just got out of a relationship a few months ago, it didn't end very well, and when he said goodbye, she was a wreck.

Harry. Even the sound of his name tastes bitter against her lips. They met at a Christmas party a year ago, and somehow she still thought it'd be a good idea to attend one this year, alone. She got to admit this is a very dumb way to get over your ex.

"You made it!"

"You would've blown up my phone if I hadn't, Lola." Y/N rolls her eyes at her best friend and goes in for a hug.

Lola pulls away, holding Y/N's arms and examines her from head to toes in a way that actually makes the poor girl feel uncomfortable. "I haven't seen you in a while! Did you lose weight?"

"Well, I didn't really feel like eating after–" The reply is cut short when Y/N notices the stare Lola's giving her. "Okay, sorry, I shouldn't mention him right now."

The look on Lola's face slowly alters, switching from pitifulness to...guilt, maybe? But why?

"Y/N...There's something I forgot to tell you."

"What?" Please don't say Harry's here. Please don't–

"Harry's gonna be here."

"Excuse me?!" Y/N literally shouts, turning a few heads to her direction, but being judged by these people is the least of her concern at this point.

"I'm sorry, it's just..." Lola reaches out to hold her best friend's right hand with both of hers, giving Y/N the most sincere look she can pull off. "You know how my boyfriend's also friends with Harry and he didn't know much about how you two ended so he invited H. I couldn't just uninvited him!"

"Yes, you could, Lola! Remember what he did to me?"

"Yeah...but...but he's actually a good friend and...I didn't want to pick a side."

Y/N withdraws her hand immediately from her friend's grasp. "You already have."

She storms off right after finishing those three words, ignoring Lola apologising and pleading her to stay. It's a good thing she decided to show up early and Harry's not here yet. She might as well leave now before he arrives.