House Hunting

credit to harrystylescherry on tumblr

description: Looking for a house with H in Italy

word count: 900+

-----

"Don't you think it's a bit big?" You asked as you walked around one of the six bedrooms, the old wooden floor creaking with every step you took, the hem of your long white sundress brushing the tops of your feet

Harry was on the other side of the room, looking out one of the big windows. His eyes scanned over the acres of green. He could see the edge of a vineyard in the distance.

"It's a villa, love."

"Well, yeah, I know but they make smaller villas." You joined him and looked out the window.

Tuscany was beautiful.

When Harry had talked to you about the idea of buying a house in Italy, somewhere for you two to go in between tours, to take your families during the summer to spend some real quality time, you said yes-but only if it was in Tuscany. You had seen Under the Tuscan Sun when you were younger and you needed to live out that dream.

"If our families come to stay, we're going to need somewhere to put them." He wrapped his arm around your shoulder.

"That's true."

"And when we have kids..." You played with the antique engagement ring on your finger. "We'll need somewhere to put them."

"That's also true." You tried to hide the grin on your face but Harry caught it. He leaned down and placed a kiss on your cheek before stepping away from you.

He started walking backwards in the direction of the door and you started to follow. "Besides, it's got everything you wanted."

You thought about the large kitchen downstairs, already knowing what color you wanted to paint the cabinets, what kind of runner you were going to lay down between the island and the counter. You thought of the copper pots you would hand from the ceiling-and the step stool you would need to reach them-and how the light would filter through the huge window in front of the sink, bathing the entire space in the evening light.

You loved the old wood floors and how they moaned when you walked, dark and aged and so homey.

You had this vision in your mind of waking up to birds chirping, your bedroom window wide open, white curtains billowing with the soft breeze; of having coffee out back on the patio, a jungle of flowers below you, or maybe on your balcony, overlooking the endless green.

When you didn't say anything, lost in your head, Harry continued, "And those vines? Do you remember what you said when you first saw them?"

You followed him down the hallway and into another bedroom.

He was talking about the green vines climbing up the outside of the villa, standing out against the cream exterior. The leaves covered almost half of the house and you couldn't help the smile that overtook you when you saw it.

"I said that it looked like a fairy tale."

He held his hand out to you and you took it. He pulled you into him, hugging you close to his chest. He kissed the top of your head. "Yeah, a fairytale. Our fairytale."

You sighed into his chest as he toyed with the ends of your hair.

"It is really pretty."

"Mhmm." He rested his cheek on your head. "We could come in the summer, maybe early fall, spend the night outside or on the balcony, drinking wine from one of the vineyards. We could go for walks in the mornings, just wandering around, not having to worry about being alone. You could bring your mom here while I'm away. Just the two of you. You always say you want to spend more time with her, don't you think this is the perfect place to do it?"

"She does love Italy."

"This could be our place, you know? The place we go when we want to be alone."

"It needs some work, though. Some of it's a little outdated." You tried to pull away but he held you tighter.

"So we'll stay and work on it. I can take meetings from here and we can do whatever you want. If it looks anything like our place in London, I know I'll love it."

"You'll let me put red tiles in the bathroom?"

"Mhmm."

"And get a green couch?"

"Whatever you want."

"What if I want to paint the kitchen walls pink?"

You felt his chest vibrate as he laughed, "Love, whatever you want to do. As long as you're here, we're here, I don't care what it looks like."

"Well, that makes one of us." You pushed out of the hug as he chucked.

You walked out of the room and started towards the stairs.

"I think we need plants everywhere. Like, everywhere. I want green all over this house. Oh! And we definitely need a gallery wall in that hallway." You pointed behind you. "I think earthy tones, maybe a little bit of pink for fun."

He followed you down the stairs, absolutely beaming as you started putting the home together in your head.

"I also wasn't kidding about painting the kitchen pink. I'm thinking light pink, like the color of a tutu or something, and-"

He grabbed your wrist and gave it a tug so you turned around. He cut you off with a kiss. He held your face between his hands, "So is that a yes? Is this the house?"

You smiled back, "This is the house."

credit to harrystylescherry on tumblr