Reunion

credit to alexandragramz on tumblr

description: where they used to date when they were teens and then they meet again

word count: 4.5k

—————

The front doors look a lot smaller than I remember

That was the first thought Kerr had thought when she walked across the front lawn of the school she'd attended from when she was a little girl until she graduated. When she went here, the doors always seemed so big. Like they were going to swallow her up if she hadn't studied enough for a test, or if she was arguing with a friend.

But now, coming back for her five year reunion, they didn't seem very big at all. Kerr looked across the dewy grass as she clutched her hot cup of coffee. It was only six or so in the morning, too early for anyone to be arriving for the reunion. Even the event coordinators weren't here to set up. She just had to see it before anyone else did. Before everyone was walking around, hugging each other and shrieking over old memories.

Kerr wasn't particularly nervous for her reunion. If anything, she should be happy. She'd gotten out of this tiny town and made something of herself. More than something. She was abnormally successful and now managed a very high end art gallery that not just anyone could shop at. She didn't have to worry about making her life seem cooler than it really was to her former classmates.

But still, she felt like something was missing. Not here and now, but in her life as a whole. Her only friends were work connections, and that didn't make them real friends. She supposed that she shied away from deep, interpersonal connections.

"Kerr?"

She gasped, her hand flying to her heart and dropping her hot coffee in the process.

"Oh, shit," she muttered, watching the dark liquid seep into her black and white running shoes.

That was technically why she got up so early, to go for a run. But then she thought about it, and she came here instead.

"Sorry I scared you," he said softly.

"Hmm," she nodded, unwilling to look directly at him.

"Thought you might be here," he remarked, coming to stand beside her. "You always did like to be the first one to get somewhere."

Now that he was next to her, she didn't have to worry about looking at him.

"Harry Styles," she sighed. "Who'd have thought."

"What do you mean?" He asked, and she could just picture the way his eyebrows crinkled.

"I don't know," Kerr shook her head. "I guess I thought you'd still be out touring the world or whatever."