When The Levee Breaks

credit to styleslovebot on tumblr

description: you're a waitress and harry is being stood up.

word count: 9.5k

—————

There's always a particular vibe you get from people going on first dates

It's an easy one to notice and you and your coworkers love pointing it out - it's an air of hope and romance, people arriving dressed their very best yet still holding some sort of awkwardness. It's sweet, actually, and quite adorable and they're always the nicest to you, needing to impress their date and make sure they know that they're respectful. It's the same reason they leave such a hefty tip - likely wanting to show they're, at the very least, wealthy enough to tip 20% on a $100 tab and not have it hurt their pockets, or to prove that they respect waitresses enough to help you pay your rent. They're always the tables you're desperate to serve, not only for the tip they leave you but because you love getting a clue as to how the date goes, and most times it's good. Once, you'd heard the guy's date inquire about kids before their meals came, and they'd left barely minutes after paying their bill. Another time, a couple had arrived at 6 and hadn't left until 11 on a Thursday night - nearly two hours after closing, and you'd nearly had to shoo them out the door when they weren't going fast enough.

It varies often, but still - first date couples are your favourite, and when you see him walk up to the host stand, you know he's another one.

The uncomfortableness is what tips you off, fiddling with one of the numerous rings on his finger as he leans back and forth on the balls of his feet, waiting behind an elderly couple hoping to grab a table outdoors for some drinks. He's dressed well, tucking a loose curl behind his ear and rolling up his sleeves and when he makes it up he's confirming a reservation f'two, under th'name Harry Styles, please. And the girl at the host stand - the youngest host your boss has hired, you reckon, though you'd need to fact check it to be sure - picks up her pen and crosses his name out in the reservation book, a thick line running through his information and phone number before she's grabbing a stack of menus (specials, wine, beer, and general, respectively) and telling him to follow me this way, sir as she leads him outside.

Well, you don't see exactly where Brianna takes him before you remember the four waters that table 306 had asked for, and it's not like you to get distracted like that by a customer - you've been a waitress for nearly three years since starting college and yet, no patron has ever caught your eye like Mr. Harry Styles. It's a damn paradox, really - you only see attractive guys like him when they're on dates and, by that point, they're spoken for. There's no room for you to mosey in and you wouldn't do that to another girl, anyway, but still. You suppose it doesn't matter (he looks wealthy enough to leave a good tip with or without a date, truthfully) but it still has you sighing as you grab four glasses, scooping ice into them and beginning to fill them with water.