CH 34 - Spy

Contract Maker

"When did he manage to poison me?" The injured man snapped. "I got out so quickly."

"You should be grateful you are alive." The witch checked his wound. "Facing a vampire is no small feat."

The witch took medicine out from his case, handing it to the patient before giving him more balm for his injuries. They were healing but slower than normal.

"I work for a demon lord." The man in the suit grumbled. "This isn't going to stop me."

"Don't get to cocky." The contract maker warned, after the witch left. "Powerful adversaries have come into play this round. If the demon lord can be hurt, so can we."

"He...will heal."

"He isn't ready to let go of the soul." The contract maker told the other man. "Once he has it, we will have what we want too."

The demon lord was resting, his fight with the witch took more out of him than he thought. It was a good thing he left vials hidden; if he was vanquished back to the demon realm, they would lose their chance.

The man in the suit finished applying the balm to his neck, took the prepared tonic and headed to his room. He took out the old portrait, unrolling it to see the picture of Arthit. He took out a small knife and plunged it into the parchment, repeatedly.

It took a while for his fury to subside, breathing heavily, still looking at the picture with hate. He waited so long. Time was ticking and this time it was their turn.

The contract maker sat in his room, holding the gold necklace, eyes fixed on the faded portrait inside, as he caressed the metal. Time dredged past ever so slowly, but he remembered the day this was made. A gift and a confession. So simple but it destroyed every bit of happiness.

"Soon my love." He caressed the locket with the portrait of his long-gone wife. "Soon we will be together."

A silver thread flickered unseen through the room, shimmering as it disappeared. Appearing in a white hand, repeating its secret before fading away. A smile played across full red lips as the Earl recalled the features.

The man was hidden by magic, she couldn't see him well, but the portrait would give her a few clues. The contract on Kong was old, its magic weaved and curled but unravelling was one of her gifts. What good was her being an Earl if she couldn't be useful when it was needed.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yut POV

He looked at the small package in his hand, opening it slowly. He moved the flap, finding a USB placed in the thick foam inside. The shrill sound of his phone in the silent room, making him jump.

"No more running Yut." The voice speaks the moment he answers. "You know what to do."

"I don't want to." His voice is stronger than he feels. "I told you..."

"Now, now, suicidal zombie." The voice laughs. "You wouldn't want your friends to find out the real reason you ended up at heart memorial, would you?"

Yut stayed quiet.

"Do what I say and I will give you what you want."

"I can't..."

"Don't anger me." The voice snaps. "Or I will destroy the happy place you think you have found."

Yut stood in the same place even after the call ended, holding onto the phone. What did he do now, could he really betray them? His friends.

"Something wrong?"