open doors shut after you

"I hate to see you leaving"

never coming back 3

A bell rang as Tommy opened the shop doors, he heard the sound it seemed a million times but this time it felt more comforting to him

A bell rang as Tommy opened the shop doors, he heard the sound it seemed a million times but this time it felt more comforting to him. The warm air inside calmed the boy as his eyes wandered the display cases, pastries sat on each row. He hadn't eaten since that morning, before he left, and the sight made him wish he had the chance to bite into one of the cakes. His eyes moved from the shelfs stacked with different sweets to the person that sat at the front register. They had short brown hair and wore a green apron, their eyes focused on something they were doodling in an open notepad and it seemed they hadn't even noticed Tommy entering.

The blond took a moment to find the name tag on their shirt before stepping closer to the counter. The other took a second as they drew the final line on their small doodle before looking up and noticing Tommy was there. The person hurriedly grabbed the notebook off the counter and greeted Tommy with an embarrassed smile, "Hello there! Is there anything I could help you with?"

"Uhm- yeah" Tommy nervously messed with the buttons on his jacket, "I saw the sign outside and-"

The person gasped, a smile now bright on their face as they shouted to someone in the back room, "Wilbur we've got the first person!"

A voice came back, "Well talk to them, Toby, I'll be out in a minute."

The person, who Tommy had just found out was named Toby as when he tried to read their name tag before it had been too worn to see, turned back to Tommy. "Sorry for that" They laughed, "You're here for the job, right?"

"Uh- yeah I saw the sign and decided to try out..." Tommy mumbled under his breath, his anxiety still ate away at him as he stood in the small bakery.

"No need to be nervous!" Toby smiled, seeming to be able to read the boys mind, "Wilbur is a nice guy and I'm sure he'll like you."

"You think?" Tommy chuckled, looking back at Toby.

"For sure." The other giggled, "I hope you get the job, you seem nice!"

Tommy turned to glance at the window that faced outside, "Thanks..." he stuttered, nobody had ever thought he was nice or told him he was if they did.

"Hello there!" Another voice came from behind the counter and Tommy recognized it as the one from the back room, he turned back and was greeted by a man standing behind the counter, another green apron hanging over his yellow sweater.

"H-Hello" Tommy looked up at the man who was only a few inches taller than him. Wilbur, as Tommy had heard Toby call him, smiled at the boy, the sweet facial expression seemed to reassure him that it was safe in the shop. His grip on his bag loosened slightly, he hadn't even noticed that he held it that tight.

"So here for the job I see..." Wilbur hummed as he grabbed a few papers from under the counter.

Tommy glanced at Toby who encouraged him to speak up, "Yeah, I saw that you were hiring and thought why not..."

"Well you're in luck" Wilbur smiled, "Your interview is tomorrow at 8am, Tubbo here can show you around tonight so feel free to stay as late as you need!" and then the man handed the papers to Toby and stepped into to the  backroom again.

Tommy turned to Toby and the other smiled, "Told you it would be fine!"

608 words.

~inspired by the song Losing Face by Wilbur Soot~