butterflies and butter knives

"I'll be here for you."

Tommy opened his eyes and his sight was met with the soft blue sky, the clouds dotted perfectly around it and the view mesmerived him

Tommy opened his eyes and his sight was met with the soft blue sky, the clouds dotted perfectly around it and the view mesmerived him. He didn't think to check where he was as he raised his hand towards the beautiful sight, he was stuck in thought. A butterfly dipped down and landed on his hand as he reached it out, it's perfect light blue wings fluttering in the warm wind.

His gaze turned to the creature, he giggled as it tickled his finger, moving it's small legs. Tommy smiled at the insect, bringing it closer to his face as an attempt to watch it. He heard a voice from behind him and watched as the butterfly flew away from the sudden noise.

"Hello, Tommy" Tommy turned and was met with Wilbur smiling at him, "I haven't seen you in quite a while..."

Tommy confusingly looked up at the man, "But... I thought that you died... how are you-"

Wilbur laughed and reached out his hand, offering for Tommy to take it, "It seems I've got explaining to do"

Tommy glanced down at his friends hand before taking it, as soon as he did Wilbur turned and started walking along the perfectly cut grass, "Where are you taking me?"

"It doesn't matter right now" Wilbur smiled as he walked with the boy, "All that matters is that you understand"

"Understand what?" Tommy questioned, confused why the man suddenly had something to tell him.

Wilbur sighed and looked down at the ground, "I was sent to help you, I knew as soon as I was sent onto the world I was to find my human and protect them" Wilbur glanced at Tommy before continuing, "I met you after years of searching but as soon as I heard your voice I knew that you were the one I was sent to protect, so I did. I protected you until I knew that you didn't need me anymore, and so when I realised it was time I was taken back to the stars... without you..."

"What are you saying?" Tommy burrowed his eyebrows, not understanding what the man was telling him.

Wilbur stopped walking and looked up at the gates in front of him, "Tommy" he paused as he made eye contact with the boy, "I'm your guardian angel."

391 words.

~inspired by a thought~