36. The flu

"Retractor please," I said, still, my eyes are focused on the surgery.

The scrub nurse immediately yet calmly handed it to me. When I was done adjusting it, the nurse got it out of my hand.

"Bovie," Dr. Mendes said and the nurse gave it to her

But the blood spurted when she touched the wrong artery.

"Shit!" She uttered and her hands started shaking.

"Pad, please." I calmly said.

I looked at Dr. Sia, our anesthesiologist. "How's the patient's condition doc?"

She gave me a thumbs up. "Stable, doc."

Then I turned my attention to my fellow doctor. "Dr. Mendes, calm down." I said to her while I tried my best to stop the bleeding.

"B-but ---"

"Just calm down. You will just risk our patient's life on the table if you'll be clouded with fear."

She slowly nodded. "Just take a long deep breath and release it," I suggested.

We spent six hours inside the operating room. My body was all sore when we finished the surgery. It was tiring but fulfilling.

Umupo ako sa labas ng O.R sa sobrang pagod. That was my third operation for today. And its already 10 in the evening.

I haven't taken my lunch and dinner yet since my second operation was an emergency. Then the third one was really scheduled so I really had to do it.

Sumandal ako sa pader at ipinikit ang mga mata. Magkaka-stiff neck ata ako.

I don't know for how long I've been in this position when someone softly tapped me on shoulder. Napaangat ako ng tingin.

He was crouching in front of me so our eyes were leveled. He's wearing a white button down shirt and a black pants. Mukhang kakagaling lang sa office.

"You good?" tanong niya

I massaged my neck and nodded at him.

"Just tired," sambit ko

Tumayo siya saka inilahad ang kamay niya para makatayo ako. Tinanggap ko ito. Kaagad niya akong inalalayan.

It's been a week since our medical mission in Iloilo. And the day after we went back here in Manila, South started .... visiting me. I just recently found out that he is one of the board of directors of Meritt Hospital.

I didn't know if he had a talk with Caleb or what because when we were having a wine night, Caleb said he likes South for me.

"Cay, you were with your ex back in Iloilo?" Caleb asked

Nabulunan ako sa iniinom ko kaya natawa silang dalawa. Toby was beside him. Inirapan ko sila bago nilapag sa table ang wine glass. Ellie is spending the night at Kianna's penthouse and mom isn't home so obviously, there's just three of us tonight.

"Yeah, so?" Mataray kong tanong

Caleb looked at Toby before looking at me then he smirked. "I like him..." he trailed

I was about to open my mouth when he smiled evilly. Ang baklang 'to!

"...for you, of course!" Natatawa niya kaagad na sambit. Sumandal siya sa dibdib ni Toby.

Minsan, 'di ko alam kung painggit ang dalawang 'to.

"Why do you want to talk about him?" Humalukipkip ako at sumandal sa couch.

Toby chuckled. "You know Caleb's curiosity, Cay." Inabot niya ang wine saka nagsalin sa wine glass.

I stretched my arms when we started walking towards the escalator. I'm still wearing my scrub suit but I already sanitized before leaving the O.R.