Chapter 35

Bhargavi texted back ' I am alright! Getting ready for college.'

In college Bhargavi though had no close friends, and spoke to almost no one except her best friend Arohi, with whom she became friends since the first day she joined college, had now been turned into the centre of all attraction as Prabir stood at the entrance of her classroom, after their infamous professor Mr. Rajan left.

Mr. Rajan could get one drenched and soaked with his saliva, in case anyone, occupied the first bench in the class. He had the bizzare habit of getting excited and spitting out while explaining something. Therefore, in his class, all the first benches were left unoccupied and he never did mind it.

Prabir walked up straight to Bhargavi, and murmured, " Bhawu had called me up.

who is Ishaan?

She wants me to take her to his home. She has put up a high-end drama at  school portraying a stomach ache."

"Umm... Prabir, Bhawani loves him and... his mother is very ill and she just wants to help him.

I told her that she could help him, but only on one condition... if you drop her off at his house and bring her back home.

Prabu...I don't know anything about Ishaan and I don't trust him yet. You know what Bhawani has been through because of Mayank.

I wanted to tell you all about it yesterday, but it slipped my mind", she said apologetically.

"I'll take care of it", he said hurriedly and left as he saw professor Kartik rush in the class.

Prabir picked up Bhawani from school. She had a pain stricken pale face, and Prabir was at first shocked and blurted out concerned, " Are you okay Bhawu?" Her eyes were red and swollen.

She clinged onto him tightly and said, " I am alright! Please take me to Ishaan's place, his mother can't be left alone and he has some important work to do. His mother's caretaker is on leave today."

They left the school and were in Ishaan's place within half an hour, Ishaan seemed to be waiting for them impatiently.

Ishaan was awestruck on seeing Prabir. His house was very tiny and dingy. His mother laid on the bed.

Prabir formally introduced himself, " Hi! I am Prabir Banerjee, I am her elder brother", with a cheerful smile.

"I am Ishaan Bagchi", he replied shaking Prabir's hands looking shocked and amused.

Ishaan had known about Bhargavi, Bhawani's sister but Bhawani had never mentioned anything about Prabir and their surnames were different as well.

"Bhaiya, I...I need to leave. I have to replace my co-worker who is seriously injured in an accident.

I work as a fitness instructor in a gym.. but not during the day. Maa's caretaker is on a leave today, so I stayed back at home but ..."

Prabir cut in, " it's okay! You may leave for your work. We are here", patting his shoulder.

"I am so grateful, thank you so much", he blabbered and left.

Prabir looked cautiously at the old lady laying on the bed, sitting beside her on the bed. She was staring blankly at nothing in particular. she looked fragile and seemed to be very apathetic towards life in general.

"Bhaiya, she used to have slow and shuffling gait earlier, and some problems in movement and coordination but now her muscles are so stiff, she finds it difficult to even stand up... she loses balance and stumbles and falls every time she tries to walk. She even has difficulty speaking", Bhawani briefed about Ishaan's mother's condition, perching  beside him on a chair.