Chapter 59

Prabir and Bhargavi had set out for college after a long time.

Bhargavi had silently helped Ms. Nalini in the kitchen while she was busy making the breakfast, though Ms. Nalini was extremely careful and did not let her go near the kitchen stove,remembering Prabir's words, being a staunch superstitious believer.

Bhargavi's sudden change in behavior towards her was only because of Prabir she knew it well, but it was a sort of relief to her as she had never known Bhargavi to be so soft spoken.

The entire day in college was hectic and Bhargavi noticed all her classmates gossiping about her, while maintaining a safe distance from her, not wanting to tempt her.

She could feel everyone's piercing gaze on her, and was happy to leave the college building when her classes were over.

Prabir marked the discomfit on her face when they met before leaving the college and queried, "What's wrong?"

"No. Nothing. It's erm... Everyone still thinks I am responsible for Keya's death", she replied gloomily.

"Bhargu...Since when did you become emotionally so delicate and fragile that someone else's opinions started to bother you?" Prabir enquired quietly running his fingers smoothly in his hair.

She looked up at him shyly. He smirked," Bhargu...Don't be upset about such silly things" and ruffled her hair softly.

************

Later in the evening, when Parul was in her dance class, Prabir heard the doorbell.

Dhruv pounced and opened the door instantly beaming, thinking it was Mr. Ghosh and blurted out thoughtlessly, " Look Miss Minnie Mouse is here.

Hey! Where did you hide your tail?"

Though he spent the last seven years in prison, Dhruv was very good humoured. He finally could see his future on the horizon. Nonetheless he missed his father but Prabir's presence made him feel comfortable and happy. He felt he had a family.

Even when Prabir went to college, he had given him his books to read - autobiographies of eminent personalities, some books on science fiction and even his laptop to watch movies if he got bored.

"You won't be able to endure me once you start testing my patience", Bhargavi muttered under her breath.

Dhruv blankly stared at Prabir and inquired, " Did something happen?

Why is she in such a foul mood?"

Prabir raced to take the bowl she held in her hands ignoring his remarks. " Ah!! My rice pudding", he exclaimed happily.

He placed the bowl in the kitchen and started to serve the pudding hastily in small dishes, for Dhruv, Bhargavi, Parul as well as himself.

He kept Parul's share aside and took Dhruv's plate and strolled away to the living room, where Dhruv occupied a seat before the TV. He placed it on the tea table and immediately walked back to the kitchen, where he was working on his laptop sitting on the dining table itself.

Bhargavi swiftly held up a spoon filled with the pudding before him. Prabir was tickled pink as he opened his mouth wide open and leaned forward to accept the offer. He swallowed slowly.

"How does it taste?" Bhargavi asked curious.

He smiled at her warmly and leaned forward to take two more spoonfuls.

Dhruv raced into the kitchen and enquired, " Bhargavi. Does aunty suffer from diabetes?"

"No! But why are you...", Bhargavi started to say and then she took a spoonful herself to taste the pudding.