I walk inside.

"How old are you again?" His mother asks while she's closing the door. Damn, can Zyier hurry up. He ain't remember I was coming?

"Fifteen... Sixteen next week."

"Mm, I can see right through your lies. You like twenty or twenty one, you know my son is a minor."

"Nah, I'm fifteen," Shes annoying as fuck, but if I say something slick to her Zyier gon get mad at me. She narrows her eyes.

"I could show you my school ID or something, what I gotta lie for. I'm bout to be sixteen," I add. just because I look older don't mean I am.

"Alright if you say so, but let me find out," she purses her lips, "Ya mother know you over here?"

Is Zyier deadass? Like can he come now, damn.

"I don't got a mother," I say.

"Well who you got then? Somebody gotta know that you here."

"My uncle does."

"Okay," she looks me up and down, "Whats all those bruises on your face. Why you look so beat up?" Before I can come up with an excuse, a creaking sound comes from the steps and it's finally Zyier dressed in basketball shorts and a white t shirt.

"Ma, you bothering him?" He smiles.

"He bothering me looking all grown in my house," she says.

"He's younger than me, he's fifteen."

"I heard, I'm just not believing it."

Zyier kisses his teeth, "You being annoying and you know it. Leave him alone."

"Hm. I rest my case... don't let me catch you doing all that weed smoking today. You got work and your grandmother is coming to see you. I don't want to smell it, and if I do both you and your friend gotta get out my house," she grabs a broom from the corner of the room.

"Aight ma, damn. You trippin. Come on Aj."

He storms up the stairs and I slowly follow right behind him. She's mad fucking annoying. I don't know how Zyier does it with her.

I follow him into his room and after he closes the door I sit on a chair in the corner and he sits on the floor in front of me. "Why you all bruised up Aj... the fuck happened?" he frowns "You got into a fight?" He stands up from the floor and sits on the edge of his bed.

I tell Zyier a lot, but I haven't said anything about my father being back home mainly because I don't usually bring random shit up, and also because I didn't know how everything was operating, like if people could know he's out or not. So I know if I tell him what happened, he's going to be confused. I don't feel like going through the whole story on how he got out because I don't even know.

"Aj," he pesters and raises his brows "nigga you good?"

I look down at the floor and just like that, I make myself look like a bitch in front of this nigga. Keep tryna tell myself, 'It is what it is Aj. Drop all of them.' but I can't even be on my bullshit now because that shit hurt. It's beyond the bruises, the shit he was saying to me, like he doesn't want me as a son, like he wish I was dead. Hearing that coming from him hurts like shit.

"Yo you crying? Aj." I don't pick my head up but I can hear Zyier get up from his bed and approach me. He tries to lift my head up so that I can look at him but I don't budge. I didn't plan on crying. All I wanted to do was chill over here for a while so that I didn't have to be around my family. Not this.

Zyier leaves out the room for a second and when he comes back he puts some tissues in my lap. I wipe at my eyes too aggressively with my hands, so now as I'm opening my eyes all I see is stars. I take the tissues from my lap and wipe the rest of my face. I lean back in my seat, "fuck," I sigh and lay my head back. I close my eyes tight, hoping the stars will go away once I open them.