Hope and Devotion (Chapter Nine)

"This can't be happening." Ashe whispered shaking her head, "there's just no way. He betrayed us. Father is gone, and my own uncle… He was all that I had left."

Rasler held on to his wife, stroking her back, while she clung to him. He stayed quiet.

"All we have is each other, right? And Vossler?" She wiped the tears from her eyes with her sleeve. Everything just seemed pile one on top of the other, there seemed to be no end to the bad news she received since the war started. Were all wars like this? She certainly hoped not, she could not bear the thought of having another war.

"Exactly." He reached out her hand and held tightly. It felt like he would never let go. "When he comes for us we shall make a plan, to restore our thrones and our countries."

"A plan?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Or something like that. I don't plan on living here for much longer." He looked around the small room.

"I don't think anyone would plan to."

He nodded, "You should get some rest it has been a rough day."

She gave him a quick nod in reply; thankful that her husband was giving her the space she needed to think the day's events though. He scooted over, allowing her room to lie down. Once her head hit the pillow he pulled the blanket over her shoulders, and kissed her cheek. "I'll be on the other side of the curtain-room-area, I'm not too sure of the proper name, if you need me." He stepped out to behind the rug that separated the two rooms.

"Okay," she rolled over and closed her eyes, trying to get some sleep. The screams and sounds of warfare, from overhead kept her from resting. The siege upon the city has begun, and she could hardly imagine the horrors that were taking place above, on the city streets. She lay there as she heard the muffled cries of her people, and the sounds of gunshots, and explosions. Her brothers and father had lost their lives in preventing the war from causing more suffering and damage to their people. But it had failed leaving them prey to the ever expanding empire. Was it even worth fighting? At first, they fought the invasion, leaving them with two dead princes, and a nearly invalid one. To cut their losses they surrendered, leaving Dalmasca without her king or a male heir. Either way, it had ended in war and invasion. But she and her husband would not go down so easily, as long as they were still drawing breath, they would do what they could for their people. That she swore to herself.

Eventually, exhaustion caught up with her, as she fell asleep.

0o0

Ashe poured a cup of coffee for Vossler, she set the pot down, and sighed.

"So you two have heard the news, I assume." He motioned to the radio, and took a sip of his drink.

Ashe and Rasler both gave a nod. "So what happens now?" He asked setting down his drink.

Vossler stayed quiet for a moment. "We fight them, to restore the thrones and for our freedom."

"But how?" Rasler started, "We have no army." He pointed out, and lowered his voice. "With all due respect, I've been thinking about it and I don't believe a word of what Marquis says. Accusing Captain Ronsenburg of his Majesty's assassination, and claiming that we are dead, it's all too convenient. The captain would never do that, I've fought by his side, and I have a hard time believing that. And considering the source, I say it's all set up, and we all have been played by the empire." He set his mug down with a thud.

"I saw him getting arrested, by the Archadians, and there were witnesses who saw the whole thing."

The prince paused. "I don't know what to say now… that doesn't even…I just…" he trailed off.