missing nick

a/n 

thought i'd leave you with a little cliffhanger :) any guesses on who it is? 

enjoy 

J's pov 

"JESSICA!" Joe yells from downstairs, and I can hear his footsteps as he races up the staircase. It's been two months since we'd left Kevin's house, and Joe was still staying over at my place. Joe and Nick hadn't talked once, but Joe and Kev had called on and off and had even met up once for lunch. 

Joe was still healing- he'd had several breakdowns over the course of two months, sometimes because he missed Nick and the band, but usually because he couldn't deal with all the stress the media was putting on him and his brothers. Based on what Leia had told me, Nick was going through the same things- occasional breakdowns, wondering if he'd done the right thing. 

"What's wrong?" I look up from my phone as Joe bursts through the door. "Jessica!" He repeats, thrusting his phone in front of my face. I immediately prepare myself for the worst- Joe never uses my full name unless it's something important. 

I take a deep breath and look at his screen. It's an email, inviting the Jonas Brothers' to Jimmy Fallon's talk show to speak about their breakup. 

I feel my mouth hanging open as I glance at Joe. "An interview? It's only been two months!" I exclaim, and Joe flops down on the bed, sighing in frustration. "Are you going to go?" I ask him, and he sighs again. "What can I do? We can't reject an interview!" 

We sit in silence until Joe speaks. "What day does the email say the interview is on?" He asks, motioning for me to use his phone. "Uh..." I scan the email for the details of the interview until I get to the bottom. 

"It's next week." 

"NEXT WEEK?" Joe yells, sitting up and grabbing the phone to read it himself. He puts his head in his hands as he sighs in defeat. "Can you call Kevin?" He mumbles, rubbing his temples and glancing at me. I nod, dialling Kevin's number and pressing his phone to my ear. 

~~~

Joe?

Hey Kev, it's me. 

Oh hey, J! What's up? 

Have you seen the email yet?

What email? Is everything okay? 

Well... I have some pretty bad news 

What happened? 

Jimmy wants you three to come down to the studio next Wednesday to talk about the band's breakup. 

WHAT? Fallon or Kimmel? 

Jimmy Fallon. 

~~~

There's silence on the other end before Kevin groans. "Well, I guess all 3 of us are gonna have to meet up, huh?" He pauses before he asks, "Does Nick know yet?"

"Uh... not yet. D-do you think you could tell him?" I say, almost begging. Joe's been trying to avoid any interaction between Nick and himself, and I guess its rubbed off on me a little. 

Kevin sighs. "Can you put me on speaker?" He asks, and I fumble with the phone for a few seconds before I press the button. "Yeah, you're on speaker now."

"Joe... you know you're going to have to see him next week, right? You might as well talk to him now. It's gonna be so awkward during the interview if you don't." Kevin says, but Joe shakes his head stubbornly. "Kev- you know I can't. I'll end up screaming at him if I do, or I'll start crying." Joe mutters, looking down as he waits for his brother's reply.