Chapter 26

Pearl and Phil sat down opposite each at the warehouse. Phil was reading a book while Pearl eyes were fixed at the laptop. Pearl's phone rang, she answered.

"Pearl, speaking." Pearl listen to the caller. "What?"

Phil stopped reading and all his attention was on Pearl.

"Thanks for the heads up." Pearl says as she ends the call.

"And then?" Phil questions, he sounds worried.

"We need to get out of here ASAP.  The captain on our payroll has been arrested.  Chico sold us  to the cops.

Phil hits the tables with his hand.

"Listen, we don't have time get the journalist's boss now!" She demanded.

Phil stood up. Pearl and Phil hear sound of shooting happening. They both take out they guns, Pearl moves to the window and looks and see a group of armed Scorpions moving toward the warehouse, her men are lying on the ground. Phil exits the room. Pearl rushes out of the room and goes to the parked car. She wait impatiently for Phil as the sound of shooting was coming close.

Phil walked out of the room with Bafana handcuffs. The members of the Scorpions walked inside the warehouse. Phil started shooting at them as rushes to the car; Pearl was already shooting at them. The Scorpions team lead by Mike returned fire.

"Shit!" Pearl cursed as she ducked for cover near the car.

"How many are they?" Phil asked as he reload his gun.

"Probably eight." She responded.

Pearl and Phil returned fire at the Scorpions. Phil got shot on the chest.

"Phil!"

Phil went down on the floor. Bafana watched Pearl moves closer to Phil.

"I can't lose you now. Don't die on me now." Pearl said, as she looks at Phil losing too much blood. He was in pain.

"Surrender now while you still have a choice this place is surrounded!" Mike instructed.

Pearl wipes the tears as she sees Phil is no more. She takes her gun and leans against the car.

"You don't have much options here. Surrender now!" He warned.

Pearl laughed. "No officer, there always an option in life." She countered.

"Listen carefully this place is surrounded. You don't have a way out of here. It better you give up now!" Mike shouted.

Pearl looked around for a possible way out but none was available. She looked at Bafana, who looked scared.

Mike informs his team to get ready to spread out.

"Officer, I'm ready to surrender." Pearl stood up.

"Drop your gun." Mike ordered, as he aim his gun toward Pearl. 

Pearl looks at her gun. "Like I said there is always a way out." Pearl said, as she points the gun to her head.

"No, Don't do that!"

Pearl smiles as she pulled the trigger. She collapsed to the floor. Mike and his team move toward Pearl. Mike sees Bafana near the car, he walk towards him.

"Are you fine, sir?"

"Yes." Bafana nodded.

"Let's get you checked out for those bruises." Mike stated.

A male came and lifted Bafana up. He uncuffed Bafana. He walked with Bafana for medical assistance.

Mike looked around the warehouse. He took out his phone and dialed Sarah. 

Sarah was sank in her chair as she was writing her article on her laptop. She pick the phone.

"Mike, is it done? Did you save my boss?"

Mike smiled. "One question at a time. Yes, it done."

"My boss is he..." Sarah was cut off by Mike.

"Yes, your boss is safe." He confirmed.

Sarah looked relieved to hear the news. "Thank God."

"Okay, I've to go now. Chat later." Mike said as he ended the call.

Sarah looked happy. She had just  finished writing her rhino poaching article. She looked at the article one more time. She pressed the send button on her laptop.

******************************