Chapter 7

Captain Khumalo stood near him window, as he watches Sarah and Sam leave the police station. Captain Khumalo looked worried about the arrival of Sarah. Detective Mike Mseleku entered the office with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Captain."

Captain Khumalo turned around and faced Mike.

"Finally you do something right for once." Captain Khumalo walk to his chair.

Mike puts the cup on the table while Captain Khumalo sat down, he sips the coffee. Mike stood there like a loyal servant, he recently got promoted to detective after his diligent work he has been doing in the community. Mike was not a happy with how the captain treats him in the police station. Mike wanted to be involved investigation and lead them, but that was not happening - as Captain Khumalo would give Mike cases that don't challenge him to reach his fullest potential. Mike felt like his talent was being wasted in this police station, he was even considering for a transfer.

Captain Khumalo take a sip on  the cup.

"Mike, did you get the name of that disrespectful journalist?"

"Yes, sir. Her name is Sarah Ndlovu. I even googled her - she is an award winning journalist. She really does her job very well." Mike informed.

Captain Khumalo looks worried at first then he recovers and looks confident.

"Hm, very interesting." Captain Khumalo say calmly.

"That's why I thought maybe we should help her in her investigation." Mike said with enthusiasm.

"Hell no! We're not helping no one here. This case is closed no one will investigate it." Captain Khumalo snaps.

"It doesn't make sense to me. Why close the case? This poachers are doing as they please in that game reserve. To me it sounds like you're protecting this poachers."

Captain Khumalo stood up and walked towards Mike. "I beg you pardon. You think me - your boss is working with those poachers!" Captain Khumalo asks in cold voice.

Mike steps backwards as he looks intimidated by Captain Khumalo.

"I... I think ... It .." Mike gets cut off by Captain Khumalo.

"Shut up! You think you know everything huh? Let me give you advice boy sometimes you must not leave issues that don't concern you alone, because if you play with fire you'll get burnt." Captain Khumalo said in threatening voice.

Mike looks concerned by the threat made to him.

"Do you want to get burnt huh?"

"No, it just that I thought as cops it our duty to investigate such matters." He responded as he looks concerned.

Captain Khumalo laughs at him.

"You're funny boy. You think I would give you such a big case to you, you're still a baby. You don't have the caliber to crack such case. Get this in your thick skull you're not good enough for such cases. You're better at making me coffee." Captain Khumalo says mockingly.

Mike felt humiliated by what Captain Khumalo just said to him.

"Now get out of my office, leave me do the real police work. You just go and help around the reception." Captain Khumalo said.

The looks on Mike face was devastating. He walked out the office.

******************************