Chapter 14

The following day. Sarah was woken by a sound of beeping machine. She opened her eyes. Sarah looks around and see she is in an unfamiliar environment. She see that she is in a hospital. Her head is starting to have pain as she adjust herself to lay comfortably on the bed. Her mind is still blank on what happened to her. 

Nandi and Sam walk in the room. They stand near her.

"Sarah, we were worried sick about you. Thank God you're okay." Nandi commented.

Sarah touches the bandage on her head.

"You scared us." Sam says as he holds her hand.

"What really happened? I don't remember much. The last thing I remember was that I was at the lounge and then I went blank."

Nandi and Sam remain silent.

"Guys, are you hearing me? I really need to know what happened to me." Sarah demanded.

"It looks like you were attack. If Detective Mike didn't arrive in time you wouldn't have made it."

Sarah looks confused. She wonders how did Mike know her place. Maybe it was him who attacked him and wants to portray himself as the hero so that he can spy on her for his captain. Sarah was shocked about what happened to her. Processing the incident was a struggle.

"I think we should shut this investigation. Who knows what next will they do." Nandi declare.

"No. No investigation will be closed until we find this people. I'll not be stopped now." Sarah says, her voice full of determination.

"But..." Nandi was cut of by Sarah.

"I'll not back down now. I became a journalist to make a difference in society, to be the voice of the voiceless. If they think attacking me will stop me - they better think again."

"Maybe you should get a bodyguard." Sam says bluntly.

Sarah shakes her head in disagreement. "No. I don't need a bodyguard. All I need is to get out of her and go after this cowards."

"You're really hell-bent on this mission. I'm really worried about  our safety." Nandi said.

Sarah looks at Nandi. "If you want to quit you can leave now while it still safe. I will not keep you on this investigation if you feel unsafe."

Nandi looks down with concern. She was enjoying working for Sarah, it was a dream come true for her to work with Sarah. Nandi gaze at Sarah. "It just what happened scares me. I'll stay on till the end of the investigation."

Sarah smiles. She looks at Sam.

"I'm down with that. I'll stay with you guys."

"I'm really happy to hear that." Sarah smiles as she holds the hand of Nandi and Sam.

The moment was interrupted by the sound of the door opening. Detective Mseleku walked in.

All eyes were on Detective Mseleku.

"I guess that's our cue to go now." Sam said signalling to Nandi.

Sam and Nandi left the room. Detective Mseleku walked towards Sarah.

"How in the world did you know where I stay?" She asks.

"Well, I'm a cop and my job deals with finding people. Are you not gonna thank me for saving your life."

"What if you did this to me in the first place?"

"What?" Mike looked confused.

"Yes, maybe you and your captain colluded to do this  to me."

"Come on, what would I gain from that?"

"I don't know. Maybe you thought I'll start trusting you and share information for my investigation."

Mike folds his arms towards his chest "Really? you don't trust me." He asks.

"Yep." She nods.

"Well, Sarah, I'm really disappointed that you would think like that. Firstly I don't like Captain Khumalo. Secondly  you should be thankful I saved your life and for that you owe. Thirdly, I'm an undercover agent."

Sarah looked shocked by what he just heard.

"Yes, I'm an undercover agent for the Scorpions. I've been assigned to investigate Captain Khumalo. He is suspected of corruption, defeating the ends of justice and his role of letting the rhiho poaching thrive here."

The Scorpions were a independent organization that conducted criminal investigation. The organization in the past had arrested big profile people who were found in the wrong side of the law.

Sarah looked remorseful. "I'm sorry for talking to like that. I thought Captain Khumalo sent you to spy on me. I'm really sorry Detective Mseleku."

"Call me Mike. For me to forgive you - how about when all of this done we go on a date."

"Hmm. I'll think about it."

"Sarah, I must warn you that Captain Khumalo is involved with dangerous people.
That's why I propose we work together in this."

Sarah took time to respond. Trusting Mike was a big ask, she didn't trust people easily in her line of work. She considered that Mike just share confidential information about him being an undercover agent. Sarah thought maybe it a good offer after. It better to work with the devil you know.

"Okay. I'll take you on that offer."

"Sweet." He said joyfully. "I hope we can nail Captain Khumalo and his syndicate."

******************************