Chapter 24

"General Organa... Leia... is unconscious, but recovering. This is the only good news I have. Admiral Ackbar... all our leadership, they're gone."

After the attack on the Resistance ships, the surviving members were all gathered in the meeting room. Poe sat next to one of his pilot friends and Kaydel, listening to what D'Acy was saying. He couldn't believe that their leadership were all killed. Leia was nearly killed and by her own son, no less. If she didn't have the Force, she wouldn't have survived. Poe didn't know if they would even make it out alive after what happened.

"Leia was the sole survivor on the bridge," D'Acy continued. "If she were here, she'd say save your sorrow for after the fight. And to that end... the chain of command is clear as to who should take her place. Vice Admiral Holdo of the cruiser Ninka."

Poe looked up when he heard that name. He furrowed his eyebrows when he saw a woman with pink hair and a pink dress step up. "Thank you, Commander," Holdo said before looking at all of the survivors. "There are four hundred of us on three ships. We're the very last of the Resistance, but we're not alone. In every corner of the galaxy, the downtrodden and the oppressed know our symbol, and they put their hope in it. We are the spark that will ignite the fire that will restore the Republic. That spark... this Resistance must survive. That is our mission. Now, to your stations. And May the Force be with you."

As everyone stood up, Poe turned to his pilot friend. "That's Admiral Holdo? Battle of Chyron Belt, Admiral Holdo?" He asked him, receiving a nod in response. "Not what I expected."

Poe then stood up and followed Holdo, who was going to look at one of the monitors. "Vice Admiral? Commander Dameron," He introduced himself. "With our current fuel consumption, there is a very limited amount of time that we will be able to stay out of range of those Star Destroyers."

"Very kind of you to make me aware," Holdo replied, not looking at him. As she was giving some orders to the officers nearby, Poe continued to speak.

"And we need to shake them before we find a new base," Poe added. "So... what's our plan?"

"Our plan, Captain?" Holdo asked as she walked away from the monitor, Poe following her. "Not commander, right? Wasn't it Leia's last official act to demote you? Because of our dreadnought plan..." she turned to look at him with a glare. "Where we lost our entire bombing fleet?"

She tried walking away again, but Poe stood in front of her, blocking her path. "Captain, Commander, you can call me whatever you like," he said. "I just want to know what's going on."

Holdo smirked at him. "Of course you do," she replied. "I understand. I've dealt with plenty of trigger happy flyboys like you. You are impulsive... dangerous... and the last thing we need right now. So stick to your post... and follow my orders."

Poe sighed as Holdo walked away from him. He watched her go and shook his head. He deserved to know what was going on, especially since he was the one who blew up Starkiller and saved the Resistance from the dreadnought. He disobeyed orders, but it was to help the Resistance. With Holdo in charge, he didn't know if they would be able to find a base.

Poe looked down at the binary beacon on his wrist. His friends were out there and they had no idea of what was going on in the Resistance. He wished that one of them was there with him to help. Finn would probably know what to do. He always knew what to do in situations like this.

Whatever Holdo could be planning, it needed to work. Or else the Resistance is doomed.

...

Alinah sat by herself in the hut. She kept thinking about her vision, somehow remembering it. As if she had been there before. She didn't remember witnessing a birth, so she didn't know how it could've felt familiar. She wanted to ask Luke about it, but she figured she'd give him space after what happened with Rey.