Chapter 14

Rey and Finn looked at each other and then back at Palpatine. He smirked at them and gave them a chilling cackle. Rey then lifted her lightsaber and held it up to his neck, ready to strike and kill him. Instead of being phased, Palpatine kept his smirk on his face. It nearly made Rey let go of her guard, but she didn't falter.

"You're the one behind the First Order," Finn said, his eyes wide. "You created all of this pain and torture. You made Snoke and he turned Kylo Ren to the dark side."

"You are very wise," Palpatine replied. "Skywalker has taught you well, young man. And yes, I know that he's alive. But my interest is not in you, Finn. Instead, it is with Rey."

"Why me?" Rey questioned, still holding up her lightsaber at his throat. "Are you threatened that I'm the one who's going to take over the galaxy? Steal your role as the emperor of the galaxy? You're going to kill me, aren't you?"

"That was the original plan," Palpatine told her. "Snoke sent Kylo Ren to find you and kill you when we learned that you were alive. But instead, he wanted you to join him. He could sense your anger and your power because of the parents that abandoned you so long ago. He knew what you were going to become."

Rey started to lower her lightsaber, but kept it ignited. "And why would you want to kill a child?" She asked.

"Your parents tried to protect you, but they were too weak," Palpatine said. "They tried to hide you from me and faked your death to one of my loyalists. It's all because of who you are. Snoke and Kylo Ren lied to you. You do not come from nothing. You are my granddaughter."

Rey froze in place for a few moments, processing what she had just heard. She then started to step back in shock, Palpatine's words replaying in her head. Her lightsaber was off now and she fell to her knees and buried her head. Finn knelt next to her and wrapped his arm around her back, which she gratefully accepted.

"I wanted you to come here," Palpatine said. "My body... it is weak. It cannot sustain the full power of the dark side. But yours... it would be able to contain the full power of the Sith. Strike me down, and my spirit shall pass on into you."

Rey looked up at him and glared at him. Palpatine smirked, sensing the conflict inside of her as she thought about his offer. Finn shook his head at her, knowing that she didn't want to kill the Emperor. Rey looked at him and went into his head, letting his light go into her aura as she made her decision. She stood up and Finn stood alongside her.

"Never," Rey said, shaking her head. "I will rule the galaxy, but not with the likes of you."

Palpatine sneered at her, clearly angry at her decision. "You will change your mind," he told her. "You keep searching for your family, but here I am. I'm your only family now, and I know you'll be back."

"Rey, let's go!" Finn said, pulling at her arm. He was looking at something, so Rey looked over and saw an army of Sith Cultists marching towards them. Both of them used the Force to shove them aside and they ran out of the Sith temple.

The two ran back towards their ship and went inside. Rey sat down in the pilot's seat and took off out of Exegol. She and Finn exchanged glances as they made the jump to light speed. Rey then leaned over and I cuffed Finn from his binders. Both of them were silent, not knowing what to say to each other. Rey was still processing what she had just learned, still hearing Palpatine's words inside of her head.

Finn sensed her thoughts and he looked over at her, taking her hand. "It's probably just a lie," he told her. "He was probably just saying that in order to manipulate you into joining him. He's known for being a manipulator."

Rey shook her head at him. "It's the truth," she whispered. "I searched through his mind to see if he was lying and he wasn't. He was telling the truth. Palpatine is my grandfather."