little by little

Hinata’s POV

I wake up in an unfamiliar room. The walls were white and clean. There were wall cabinets too. Last time I remembered, I was sleeping in Tsukishima’s house. But… this was definitely not the guest room. I sit up from the bed and use my head to search around the room. There was an IV next to me. Ah. It looks like I was brought to the hospital. I guess it didn’t work after all. I didn’t die. The door bursts open. Tsukishima and Yamaguchi enter.

“H-hinata?! Are you okay?!” Tsukishima asks worriedly. They were both sweating and out of breath.

“Ah- ah..!” I try to speak but I can’t. What’s happening to me?! Then, the doctors come in.

“That was very risky. Looks like the medicine worked.” The doctor said. What exactly did they make me drink? I can’t speak at all.

“Doctor! What happened to him?!” Tsukishima asks the doctor, worried about me.

“He can’t speak for a while. Don’t worry, it’s not permanent. Just wait a few couple of days and it’ll be okay. Now, if you’ll excuse me.” The doctor answers and leaves the room. Tsukishima and Yamaguchi takes a seat on the chairs at the side of my bed as the lay down the bag that I brought. He sighs.

“Now, why do you have to go and do that? I can’t handle another death.” He says anxiously. Yamaguchi pats him on the back and tries to comfort him.

“Ah.. Ah..!” I kept trying to apologize but I can’t. The words just weren’t coming out. I really wanted to apologize for worrying them.

“You don’t have to force yourself. It’s alright. I messaged the others already so they’re probably on their way already. Oh! And… here.” Tsukishima hands me a notebook.

“You can use it to pass the time until you get discharged!” Yamaguchi explains. It was just a plain notebook with a hard cover and flowers as a design. It was very pretty. Even the papers in it were smooth and everything.

“Now, we’ll be going. See you later.” Tsukishima and Yamaguchi start to stand up and leave but I grabbed the hem of his shirt.

“What?” Tsukishima asks. I show him the notebook.

Thank you. Sorry.” It says.

“It’s ok. We’ll see you soon.” Tsukishima smiles at me and then leaves.

“Bye bye!” Yamaguchi follows after. I wave goodbye. I take my pencil and start writing.

Little by little, I move my fingers and express my feelings. I write a letter to Tsukishima and Yamaguchi.

I take a look at the clock next to me. It was 4 pm and December 24. I guess it was almost Christmas huh. Sad to think that I won’t have a Christmas with Kageyama. I wanted to spend more time with him. Hell, I wanted to have a family with him. Just living on the beach side with our own house, and spending time with our kid. That should’ve been what happened. That’s the perfect reality for me. I sigh and then continue writing. Minutes later, more people showed up.

“Hinata!!” Sugawara runs up to me and hugs me tightly. Daichi, Kinoshita, Narita and Ennoshita is with him. I hug him back. It feels so warm.

“I’ve heard about your condition and we just wanted to visit you.” Daichi says as he sits on the chair next to me. I quickly write a ‘Thank you’ at my notebook and show them.

“Mmn! It’s ok!” They reply. They just spent time here with me. They tell me stories and how their day was. It was just really unfortunate that I couldn’t talk and act how I did. I just kept nodding to their stories. I felt really guilty about it. Apparently, Sugawara and Daichi were dating! Not that surprised since it was kind of obvious before. Still, it’s happy to see that they finally admit it.