28. Bad Dreams & Kids

Darius Dixon

I shuffled the papers scattered across my desk trying to figure out the information I now had. My eyes zoomed in on the little scribbles I had etched next to everyone's name. Well everyone who had come into contact with Olivia on the day of her disappearance. I glanced at the last three girls on the list. Lisa, Jenine and Fiona. They had both mentioned some kid named Billy. So now all I had to do was track down this Billy kid and see what he had to say for himself. 

The vibration of my phone in my pocket distracted me mid shuffle as I tried to arrange my papers in order. This Billy kid better have answers because going on a wild goose chase was not what I planned for this search. For all, I know Olivia's time could be running out. I stopped mid shuffle as the thought of Olivia dying sent icy electric shots through my body. 

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and answered it with the swipe of a finger, "Hello." 

"Darius." Carol's small voice wafted through the phone. 

"Hey..." I didn't have much to tell Carol, there wasn't any news yet and there were no words of comfort I could give her that would make this whole ordeal seem less scary. 

"I had a bad dream." 

"What happened," I whispered, my heart hammering in my chest. A feeling of dread inside me felt like Carol's bad dream was like an omen of things to come. Bad things to come. Like...death. 

"I...um...don't want to talk about it." She said through sniffles over the phone. 

"That's okay. Do you want me to come over?" 

"No. Tell me about your search for Liv." Her voice sounded determined but that did not hide the crack at the end of the sentence. 

"Well I am finally narrowing things down but there are still some gaps in the information I have. I am about to go question a few more of her friends so I will call you after, okay?" 

"Okay. And Dee..."

"Yes?" 

"Don't go missing too."

"I promise I won't," I said before hanging up.

 The unmistakable rhythm of my heartbeat was banging just below my ears. The thought of not finding Olivia was suffocating my thought was closing up as I gasped for air. I couldn't possibly lose two people in one year. I couldn't be that unlucky. I sat back in my chair and tried to steady my heartbeat. One step at a time. Find Olivia my mind supplied. I managed to calm my breathing before I stood up and gripped my jeyes and jacket on the table. 

I looked down at the scrawny young teenage boy in front of me. His hand ran through his short black hair every two seconds it almost felt like watching a pendulum.  

"Would you like me to repeat my question?"  I growled harshly at him. The delayed reactions he was obviously doing on purpose were starting to get to me. And I didn't have the time for that. 

"Uh...no?"

I corked an eyebrow and took the smallest step forward to prove to him that this wasn't a joke. I was probably breaking some law by threatening minors but it had to be done. 

"No sir. I um... I,"

"Where did you and Olivia go on Wednesday use your words, Billy?" I choked out through a clenched jaw. 

"So Olivia and I didn't hang out on Wednesday. We only lied to people that we did so that I could make my ex jealous." He mumbled ruffling his hair yet again, "So she came here for a few minutes we took pictures then she said she had someone she was going to meet." 

"And who is this someone she just had to meet?" I said watching as the boy's answers slowly chipped away at my patience. 

"I don't- I don't know sir..."

I took a significantly larger step forward and the boy raised his arms to shield his face as he cowered into the wall behind him. "Clarice. Clarice! Look she said she would go get something from Clarice before going to her meeting. Please don't hit me. I swear that's all I know. Please don't hit me." 

I huffed an exhausted breath as I thought about this Clarice kid. What was that even? A name from a perfume bottle. "What is her address and phone number?" 

"I don't know it."

"Billy!" I growled grinding my teeth as I held back my aggression. 

"Okay. Okay. Don't hit me. I know who to call to get it."

"Good, do it now," I said, crossing my arms over my chest