37. Lost & Found

Darius Dixon

"Dee?" Olivia sobbed as she rushed into my arms.

She clutched my Jacket lapels as her fingers tightened and clung to me. Racked sobs were pouring out of her mouth as she pulled tighter. I let my arms envelope her to try and calm her down.  But her breathing remained hoarse and laboured and she looked like she had gone fifty rounds with a cement mixer.

"You're Safe Now. I Won't Let Them Hurt You. Not Ever Again. I got You. I Got You." I whispered into her ear as I tried to run soothing circles into her back. " I got you liv."

"I am so sorry. I am sorry about everything. I am sorry I lied. I am sorry I got you banned. "

"Look love that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is you are safe. I love you okay. I need you to be strong for me so you can get out of the hospital soon, okay. You are going to be fine now."

I sat down on the edge of Olivia's bed and watched as the nurses came to give her another injection. My hands trembled at my sides as I watched her body crumple lifelessly into the hospital bed.

‘We have to randomly sedate her.’ the doctor had said with cold eyes.

At that point, I had nodded my head in agreement as the nurses helped her into her bed. Now that her memory was coming back she was going through something to do with Trauma. The doctor had explained to me that she randomly recovered bits and pieces of her memory. But that didn't mean she was ready to talk. She only spoke after the full memory was present. Which is why she hadn't said anything about her abduction.

Hearing about it didn't make it any better but knowing she remembered me made me feel better. I sat down on the chair beside her bed and watched the monitors. She was going to be alright. The psychiatrist had said she was never going to be the same but she was going to be alright. And that was better than nothing. 

The image of the man who looked like Jason came back into my head. What did it mean? Was I seeing Jason were he wasn't? Was it Jason but with a new boyfriend? Was I just projecting my feelings? I stood up and walked over to the vending machine, maybe a snack would help.

I grabbed my snack and trudged back to Olivia's room. Olivia's body looked pale and limp as she lay on the bed. She looked like she was sinking into the hospital bed. Body paper this and fragile drained of all the life and sass she had.

I sat down in my visitor's chair and thought back to the last time she had looked this small and fragile. I was fifteen when I first met her. The oldest kid in my foster home at that time. My foster parents at that time had taken Olivia and Carol then because they figured Olivia would take care of Carol so there would be less work for them.

Olivia did take care of Carol. She was just eleven years old at the time sickly thin and pale as a ghost and yet she never stopped giving half her food to a four-year-old Carol. Carol had been confused about all the moving around and the absence of her parents that Olivia always seemed to be on guard around her.

After watching Olivia starve herself to make sure Carol ate I decided to help them. And that was how I started sneaking food from the locked cupboard in the kitchen every night and giving it to Olivia so she would actually have something to eat. Of course, Olivia was not naive enough to trust me on the first night. She would patiently wait until I took a bite of everything to prove it was safe for her to eat or share with Carol.

And that's how we become friends. Of course, after that, I started treating her like my own little sister and I defended them from bullies at school and our foster parents at home. But it wasn't always bad in that first house. Despite the small food rations and the constant manual labour Olivia, Carol and I managed to make a family of our own. From there on we swore to always look out for each other. A task I had failed at.

I looked down at Olivia's pale body and wished I had been there on time. Maybe if I had arrived on time I could have saved her from this agony. I leaned back in the hospital chair and hummed the song, Olivia used to sing to Carol. The feel-good song she called it. A fancy name for a nursery rhyme we didn't know the name of.

 A fancy name for a nursery rhyme we didn't know the name of

AN: This chapter is a little so and so but it needed sorry.