iv.

"How heartless could I be?" 

You stood outside the classroom door, nervous. You forgot about the fact that Jeongin was a junior, and you were a senior, so you were obviously in different classes. 

You heard Mrs. Jung, your homeroom teacher silencing the class.

"We have a new student today, so I want you guys to treat her with respect. You can come in." You took a deep breath before stepping into the classroom. 

"Hello, my name is Lee Eunji. I came from Japan, and I was a student at Tokyo International School. I hope we can get along." You deadpan, and the whole class froze at your monotone voice, it was the complete opposite of what they were expecting. 

"Th-thank you Eunji. You can go sit next to Seungmin over there. He's our class president, so he can help you catch up with class." You nodded, and as you made your way down the aisle, you could already hear the whispers.

'She's from Japan? She looks Korean though...'

'She's so pretty... do you think she has a boyfriend?'

'How come she gets to sit next Seungmin? That's not fair.'

'Isn't Tokyo International School famous for their academics or something?'

'I bet she's really smart...'

You chewed the inside of your cheek, trying to stop yourself from saying anything. You slid into the empty seat next to a boy with soft looking features. He had brown hair, sparkly eyes, and a nice smile.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Seungmin Kim." He offered you a hand to shake, but you ignored it. He rubbed the back of his neck, slightly embarrassed that you ignored his handshake.

'Oh my god. Did she just ignore Kim Seungmin's handshake? How heartless could you be?'

'Relax, I bet she doesn't know how popular he is. Once she finds out, she'll immediately regret it.'

"I'm Eunji. What page are we on?" You immediately began to focus on your schoolwork. You couldn't fall behind in academics again. Not like the last time you failed a subject.

"THESE GRADES ARE RIDICULOUS!" Your father slammed your report card down on the kitchen table, making you and your mother flinch.

"Honey, please. We're eating dinner, can't we discuss this afterwards?"

"No! Yui, these grades are unacceptable!" You stared down at your hands, tears brimming your eyes, threatening to fall any second. 

You hated to disappoint your parents, and this was the complete opposite of the reaction you expected from your father. Maybe it was the alcohol he had earlier, maybe it was because he had dented his new car today, or maybe it was because your grades were actually unacceptable.

"Sweetie, your grades aren't the worst, but there is some room for improvement." Your mother reached over and squeezed your hands tightly.

"Your mother's right. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement. There will be no B+'s in this Nakamura household. Until you improve your grades, you will not be allowed to play volleyball."

"お父さん!" You stood up, slamming your hands on the table. "You can't do this to me! Please! I love volleyball!"

"Well obviously you don't care about your grades the way you care about volleyball. You are excused."

You gripped the edge of your textbook tightly, remembering the flurry of emotions you had felt that night. Too tightly to the point where the page slightly ripped. Shoot. You frantically tried to piece the paper together, but luckily it wasn't that bad.

Your focus went back to the blackboard, where the teacher was busy explaining how to solve harder pythagorean theorem equations. 

You noticed that the textbook's equation was incorrect, and you looked back up at the blackboard, checking to see if the teacher caught the mistake.

She didn't.

You looked over at Seungmin's notes, he was wrong as well. You suddenly felt incredibly uncomfortable. You knew that this theorem was gonna be on the final exam, and the whole class, heck, the entire class of seniors might get this question wrong.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Jung." You raised your hand, interrupting her in the middle of her lesson.

"Yes, Eunji?" I pointed towards the blackboard.

"That's incorrect."

"Oh, really? Then why don't you try correcting my error, Miss Lee?" You stood up and as you walked down the aisle, you heard the whispering again.

'How is the math incorrect? It's just like the textbook.'

'Does she have any proof backing her up?'

'It's gonna be hilarious when she gets it wrong.'

'I know right.'

You clenched your teeth, wanting to shut all their mouths, but you knew the best way to do so is to prove them wrong.

"The textbook made a mistake here, causing the rest of the equation to be incorrect. It's longer leg is 3 more, not 3 times the shorter leg." You looked towards Mrs. Jung, and she n odded, telling you to continue.

"So it would be ½ (x) (x+3) = 27. Multiply both sides by two, which ½ equals to 1, so now all we have is (x) (x+3) = 54. Distribute on the left side..." You scribbled on the blackboard, calculating the equation. For a while, all you could hear was the sound of the chalk on the blackboard while you solved the problem.

You circled your final answer. "So the hypotenuse would be... 117." You set the chalk back down and went back to your seat without another word.

"Wha-" Mrs. Jung stared at the blackboard that was covered with your precise calculations. "Well, I-"

"I disagree." You turned around with the rest of the students. Who could disagree with your calculations?

'Oh my god, it's Hyunjin. He's so handsome, as always.'

'He's gonna prove that new kid wrong.'

'Hyunjin's so smart.'

You rolled your eyes. Don't these girls know just when to shut up? You faced the back, trying to see where the voice came from. 

(a/n ALDSKFJASDLKFGJHFASDF i fried my brain while i tried to remember the pythagorean theorem for this chapter ;-; but it was worth it. also if that math problem wasn't hard, or not high school level, i'm sorry but my walnut sized brain thought the pythagorean theorem was best so i just went along with it. hey how about we forget about the math problem and focus on how HYUNJIN'S ABOUT TO MAKE HIS DRAMATIC ENTRANCE- i have no idea what im saying anymore. anyhoo's im actually updating at a regular time :)) and i might start another ff but we'll have to see. stay home and stay safe!)

HAPPY 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY STAYYYYY <3