xxi.

'Please don't contact me.'

You watched as the rest of your classmates took pictures with their family while you waited patiently for Hyunjin and the rest of your friends next to a tree. You stared down at the grass that was trampled by the hundreds of people who came to school that day and you set your lips into a firm line, remembering who had interrupted the graduation ceremony. Hopefully, it was a bad dream. Hopefully, it was a hallucination from nervousness. You closed your eyes and silently wished to yourself,

'If this is a dream, I want to wake up right now before things escalate.'

You felt someone tap you on your shoulder, and your eyes flew open. It wasn't a dream. Your father was standing in front of you shamelessly with a bouquet of your favorite flowers. You didn't know if you were supposed to cry or get mad at him. No matter how much you hated him, he was still your father.

"Eunji, dear. It's been a while hasn't it?" He opened up his arms for a hug, but you didn't react. Those arms didn't look as friendly as they did when you were 5 years old.

Taking a small step back, you answered coldly, "It's been a while... Father." He made a face you knew too well. Sighing, you stepped into his embrace and your father's arms wrapped themselves tightly around you. Your arms hung limply at your side and you couldn't help but sniff his blazer to see if there was any old part of him there.

Any hint of his old smell was entirely gone.

--

You sipped your taro milk tea awkwardly and waited for your father to say something. He was staring at you intently, and you made a small tapping noise with your feet.

"Stay still." Your father snapped, and you immediately stopped. He tapped the table, and you knew exactly what he wanted.

"Father, I can't give you my report card yet. You see-"

"I didn't ask for excuses. Now hand it over before I look for it myself." You sighed. There was no way out of this. Slowly, you pulled out the manila envelope, still fresh and clean.

You and Hyunjin had promised each other that you would open your report cards together to see your final grades, but now you had to break that promise.

He hurriedly ripped the envelope open and pulled out the packet of paper. His eyes scanned through every page, his Rolex watch glistening under the dim cafe lights.

"Disappointed... but not surprised." Was the first thing he said after going through the packet. Your father threw the envelope on the table. "You're second place by only half a point. Do you know who got first place?"

'Probably either Hyunjin or Seungmin.'

"No, I don't." You contemplated whether to leave or not. You were supposed to meet Hyunjin in front of the school in ten minutes. Making your decision, you grabbed your taro milk tea, the envelope, and slung your backpack over your shoulder.