Chapter 1

Mindy

present day...

It had been a long couple of months since Mindy had made up her mind to leave Dax, but so far, she had made it through. The life she had been living now was unlike any way she had lived before. She wasn't waiting around for a man who, didn't love, so she wasn't beating herself up about what she could do to get him to love her, but most importantly... she was learning how to be Mindy, without Dax.

Nowadays she dedicated herself to work and friends, those were the two things she had taken for granted for far too long, and it was time to make things right. It's funny, being a nurse was not something she wanted to do, but with Addison studying to be a doctor, Lynn becoming an RN nurse, and even Tia got a business degree so she could to go work in the Hospital administration officce, it seemed like the natural choice for her to make to become a nurse to. But work had become a great way to drown out the pain and regret.

It had been a couple weeks now Margie had introduced her to a really nice guy, who was completely gorgeous by the way, and they did exchange numbers but she hadn't called him and he never called her. There was a part of her that was disappointed by that, but then again, she didn't think it was the best time to get emotionally involved with anyone... there were still days that she just sat in a corner and cried for hours.

Last night had been a long night for her, she finally decided to toss out everything that she had kept of her years with Dax, and determined to throw it out. If it wasn't for Tia, she didn't think she would have managed to get rid of a damn thing, and she knew that her heart was far from healed or getting over the ass.

Now that she was at work, she loved how her mind didn't have time to think on anything but the people she was taking care of. But when she gave up her addiction to Dax, she'd gone and done another crazy thing... giving up smoking. Her reasoning at the time was to get both her mind and body in a healthy place, but now was questioning her sanity in that decision as her hands shook from the lack of nicotine. "Damn it..." She sighed shaking out her fingers.

Mindy had found that there was one thing that helped when she got the jitters... chocolate. She put the clip board away from the last patient and walked over to Lynn. "Hey, I'm heading to the cafeteria to get some junk food to help my cravings. You want anything?"

Lynn blew a bubble with her gum, and smacked it before answering. "Nah, I'm good... Wait, I could use an energy drink. I've got some fun coming up tonight and I want to be on top of my game, literally." She winked.

"Oh my god, what are you up to tonight?" She laughed.

"I can't say, not on the floor at least. But doesn't everyone love a good menage a trois?" Lynn chuckled.

"I wouldn't know..." She stated and then held up her hand. "And I don't want to know."

"You're one to talk Min... you're not so PG rated either." Lynn laughed taking the next clip broad and walking to the next room. "Oh, and make sure it's a big one. I'm going to be pulling an all-nighter."

Mindy shook her head. "Alright crazy woman." She laughed under her breath making her way out of the emergency room. She was walking down the corridors when she saw Tia out in the cold afternoon, sitting under a tree looking like she was dazed and confused. "Shit." She murmured taking a detour to go meet her best friend.

Mindy rubbed her arms as she walked outside and saw Tia didn't have a jacket on, and that wasn't good for her as far as long as she was. "Hey T what's going on? You shouldn't be out here in the cold you know... it would suck to go into labor with a bad cold." She grinned.

Tia didn't answer, but instead wiped some tears from her face and shook her head." I know, but I just needed some fresh air." She mumbled.

"Hey sweetie, what happened... you need me to call Andy or something?" She asked putting her arm around Tia's shoulders, only to have her shake her head. "Oaky, then let's at least get you inside."