CHAPTER 1-FIRST IMPRESSIONS-PART 2

____________________________

but all that came out of my mouth was, "How are you?"

____________________________

BRANDON

The last month had been so boring. Finally, the day was there when my roommate was going to arrive. I had come early to college to escape my family drama. My brother had been murdered six months ago in front of my eyes by someone that the police had still not found. And guess what? My parents were splitting up. I know it is very dramatic but one can't help it.

All that I wanted was to forget my disturbing past and my way of doing it was coming to Austin all the way from Dallas. My family wasn't rich enough to afford both college fees and my other expenses like food and dorm. So, I had taken a job at the campus café. 

In the afternoon around three, someone knocked on the door, my roommate was finally there but doesn't he have keys I thought to myself. When I open the door, I see my brother's girlfriend standing there. Yes, my dead brother's girlfriend. Many things ran through my mind, 'why was she here at this college', 'had she not sworn to find the killer', 'this is definitely not a coincidence, is it?' but all that came out from my mouth was, "How are you?"

"What do you think Brandon? I have been miserable since Bryce's murder. Everywhere I go I think about him. Sometimes I feel like I am being followed. I have got so many panic attacks since then." 

"Rose why are you here exactly, if you don't mind me asking. Because this has not been any easier for me than it has been for you." I ask interrupting her. 

"The same reason why you are here, to escape Dallas. Oh my god looking at you after five months just brings back more memories of him. You guys looked so similar."

Bryce was one year older than me. But people used to think we were twins as we both used to look so alike. Both of us had brown-blackish hair, and brown eyes, and had muscular bodies (a little).

Rose and Bryce were like couple goals, Rose was my age and we were best friends till she and Bryce started dating, things had started becoming awkward between us so we had stopped talking just small talks. She was heartbroken after his death, she used to visit his grave every day and used to sit there and cry for hours. That was the last time we talked and never again.

Meeting Rose was like activating traumas. I had never thought that I could be so emotional, it was almost scary. Rose told me that she was here because Bryce always wanted to go to this college and that was the same reason why I was here and also, I couldn't think of any other college.

Just when the sun was setting and I had lost all hope that my roommate existed. He proved his existence; I heard the keys jingling and turning of the knob.

A boy named 'Kio holt' entered, he was Asian and tall but slim. He had jet black eyes and hair. He looked like one of the guys in that could be a K-pop star. 

First, we both were like hi and nice to meet you and stuff, and the next second, we were laughing, he made some joke about me having muscles and him not.

"Why were you late?" I asked him. 

"Don't tell me you are the motherly type or I have to leave this dorm immediately." He said raising his arms

"Lucky you, I am not," I said laughing.

Later on, I got to know that he was from California and was here to study journalism. His father was American and his mother Korean. His cousin that was about his age was her too, some girl named 'Nicoletta Valencia'. Their surnames were different because his father's sister had changed her surname after marriage.

He was a great person, really funny and soft-hearted too, but I didn't want to burden him with my problems so I didn't even touch that topic. We got bored after some time so decided to go to our hall where the boys were watching the NBA game.

There we met a guy named Ryder Hart. He wasn't a biker but looked like one. He was here to study business like me. We got bored so we left and decided to play basketball. 

Kio asked me "Where is the basketball court?". The café where I worked was on the other side of the campus so I had the map memorized behind the back of my hand. 

"Near the park" I replied.