CHAPTER 17 - CONFESSIONS - PART 1

________________

________________

EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW!
_________________

VANESSA

"Gabriella wants to talk to you," Detective Miles told Christian as we entered the room. Christian glared at the detective.

"Gabriella?" I asked Christian confused. He couldn't be talking about Gabi, could he? Christian didn't say anything. He just stood frozen. I could see the panic in his eyes. I understood immediately.

"You promised me you won't arrest Gabi!" I told Christian.

"She was already in our custody before you told me anything," he said trying to defend himself.

"What do you mean that you had her in custody before I told you anything?" I asked confused.

"We had caught Gabi way before you told me about her. But we have her in protective custody," he said not looking directly into my eyes.

"So, you lied to me? I thought you had taken me as a consultant on your case," I said full of despite.

"I was going to tell you," Christian said, instantly regretting what he said.

"EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW! Why Gabi hasn't reached out for so many weeks, why you offered me help in the first place. You knew Gabi told you, didn't she?" I said as the feeling of betrayal shook in.

"It's my job, I am a detective," Christian said.

"I trusted you and you used me to know everything my friends and I worked for. You know what, I am done, sorry for actually thinking you cared about me." I said as I stormed out of the room and down the stairs.

I could feel tears coming down my cheeks. I bit my inner cheeks, apparently, too hard, I could taste my blood. I left the building and sat down on a bench. I wiped tears off my face. I see a newspaper on the bench. The cover page is filled with people dressed up, for a Ball, I was guessing. One photo caught my eye. Nicoletta and Brandon were there, looking like a very good couple. I was jealous of her.

"I am sorry," Christian said as he came and stood in front of me.

"Please leave me alone Christian," I said as I stood up and started to walk away. He held my hand.

"I do care about you Vanessa, a lot more than you think," he said still holding my hand.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked him looking in the eyes.

"I like you. I liked you before I even met you, I liked you since the time your brother told me stories about you, the time I first saw you at the training session," he said with deep affection in his eyes.

I didn't know what to say. I was shocked. We just stood there, staring at each other. If he wanted me to say I felt the same way, he was not going to hear that. A part of me did want to say that I liked him back but a huge other part wanted to say that to someone else.

"It's Brandon, isn't it?" he asked me as he let go of my hand.

"No, not just him. I trusted you and you messed up. I am sorry," I said as I walked away.

It was almost involuntary, I started walking towards Brandon's house. It was a gut feeling that I should be with Brandon. Since it was now 7 in the evening, I was hoping he would be home.

I rang the bell twice, no one was there. I remembered that Brandon keeps an extra key in his backyard. I went and got the key and opened the door. I was technically trespassing but I was sure Brandon won't mind. When I opened the door, the house was in the same condition as it was when Brandon and I first came.

Brandon's mother was not the only messy one in the family, was she? I called Brandon; it went to voice mail. I called Ryder, no one picked up. I called Reagan, she thankfully picked up.

"Hi!" I said. There was an awkward silence.

"Why did you call me Vanessa?" She asked not very nicely. I don't blame her though.

"By any chance do you know where Brandon is?" I asked.

"Wait, why? All of a sudden?" She asked very confusedly.

"It's a long story, I will tell you when we meet," I said.

"The guys have gone to interrogate someone. You know what? Come to my apartment and I'll tell you everything," she said. I agreed. Just at that time a cab came and stopped in front of me.

"Can I take you somewhere?" The cab driver asked.

"Yeah, you can," I said.