[10] The crowd goes 'Oooooo'

Start from the beginning

"But yeah, I can move some stuff around. Courts or the gym?" They began crossing the field, throwing the ball between each other. His friends seemed to be busy with something else to answer his questions.

"Looking good there!" Chad hollered from behind him

Kai swiveled around to find the three of his popular friends catcalling on Skylor, Nya, and Pixal. Liam and Jake wolf-whistled in unison, much to Kai's growing anger. But he was already in enough shit with them, and unless they made a direct move on his sister-

"Oi, Smith!"

That was it. Kai ran a hand through his hair. He needed to play this smart.

"You, me, dinner at Roosevelts'—"

"Actually, I think I'd rather go to Fire Blossom." He was going to get killed later. Kai strode up to Chad, clapping a hand on his shoulder, trying to stop the wobbling in his legs. "The steak at Roosevelts' is shit, yeah?"

Chad's mouth was forming a funny sort of smile mixed with a scowl.

"Oh, unless you were talking to someone else?" Kai pretended to search the field before them, using his hands as binoculars.

They were beginning to gather a crowd.

"No, Smith, I just think you're sister's hot." Chad seemed to have regained his composure, throwing Kai's hand off his shoulder roughly.

"Ehhhh." Kai cocked his head when he spotted Jay in the crowd. "Jay, do you think my sister's hot?"

Nya's face was turning a red rivalling her Dragons jacket, and Kai wasn't quite sure whether it was from anger or embarrassment. Probably anger.

Jay opened his mouth a few times, and someone from the ring of people watching pushed him out into the middle a few steps in between Kai, Chad, Jake, Liam and Nya, Skylor and Pixal. A few students pulled their phones out, and Kai knew this was going to go viral on the school gossip account.

"Well?" Liam joined in with a condescending smirk.

"Yes! Totally! Uh — I mean—yeah, I guess. " Jay scratched the back of his neck, avoiding the heated gaze of the Smith siblings.

"So?" Chad took a step forward, and Nya mirrored his action, cracking her knuckles.

She's got this. Kai thought confidently, recognised the determined glint in her eyes.

"So what, Davis?"

"Are you gonna go out with me?"

"Hmmmmm." Nya took a good, long look around the field, eyeing Chad distastefully. "No."

"No?"

"No as in, no I'm not going out with you Chad Davis, get that through your thick head."

"Oooooooooo." Went the crowd, Kai shamelessly joined in as well.

"You must be thicker if you don't want to go out with me."

Cocky git. Possibly more so than Kai himself. Kai stepped forward, fists clenched to intervene when Nya shot him a cool glare.

Stand down.

He nodded, even though he didn't like this at all and retreated back to Chad's side.

The 'Oooooo'ing stopped, almost as if everyone was holding their breaths for Nya's response.

"Well it's clear why she doesn't want to date you," someone said.

"And why is that?" countered Chad proudly. He probably thought he was going to win Nya over his battle of wits.

"Because she's dating me."