Chapter 17, Anubis

The Huey circled the clearing in front of the house. Cora and Greg surveyed the scene A group of armed men had accumulated between the small house and the barn. Smouldering slash piles, stacked logs, ripped up ground and bare stumps told them what they needed to know. "Seems we have a common denominator in most of these," Greg said.

Cora was staring out of the open door. Her stomach had tied in a big knot, she had started to shake, a tear found its way down her cheek. "I hate seeing all that life just cut and burnt. You can feel the pain  and anguish from here."

The Huey swooped down as the crowd of men watched, curious about why a fully armed  gunship was landing in the field. The grass and trees shook and swayed and dust blew up into the air as they slowly settled down in a flat area close to the forest line. They kept themselves about three hundred feet from the small house and the large group of men. Cora and Greg jumped out. The side gunners and pilots stayed in the chopper. Other than the group of armed men they felt there was no danger here. So little danger in the fact that neither of them had strapped on any weapons.

Cora and Greg looked momentarily at each other, neither had to say anything. The group did concern them. After all, even though Greg was a huge guy, they still looked like a couple of teenagers.

"Well, here we go," said Greg as they both stepped forward.

They walked casually towards the group waving with big smiles on their faces. "I'm feeling some strong hostility here, Cora thought.

OK sis, I'll take the lead, please don't kill anyone. Greg's thought returned.

You're a dink Bro, Cora mentally rebutted with a big smile on her face.

Yea but I love you anyway, Greg teased making Cora chuckle out loud.

As they grew closer they could see that the group looked like some farmers, loggers and the small local police force. A good ol boy lynch mob Cora thought.

This time it was Greg that chuckled out loud.

The lynchers were all loaded with arms and ready to attack. "Who are you kids," a man asked, stepping forward. "You shouldn't be here. It's dangerous."

He was clearly a man of authority, wearing a sheriffs badge. He didn't look impressed. Not that someone had come by but they were kids. Unknown kids. Greg extended his hand. "Hi, I'm Greg, this is my sister Cora, we've been sent here by the Federation to help you resolve this issue."

"Resolve?" one of the men shouted, "there's only one way to resolve this, we go in and kill those freaks of nature."

The group started to rant together, nod and wave their guns around.

Greg raised his arms up, trying to calm the crowd. "I can assure you that's not necessary, Who's the owner of the property?

"That would be me," a man said coming from behind the sheriff. "What's the Federation?"

He was short in stature but wiry and toughened by a lifetime's hard work. He had darkly tanned leathery skin, short-cropped hair in a military-style and was dressed in a red plaid work shirt, overalls, and heavy work boots. He gave the impression of a well seasoned, hard-working honest man. Greg liked him immediately. Here was a man that could be reasoned with. Greg extended his hand to the gentleman. He took Greg's hand and shook it firmly. "My names Jim Hodgeson, I've just bought this place."

"Great to meet you, Jim, I'm Greg, this is Cora."

Jim took Cora's hand and gave it a very firm handshake. He was impressed that she not only took the force but gave it back just as firmly. This made him smile. Character. Now he was curious.