Chapter 7, Apple Pie

It was a great weekend. Cora was happy again. She had a best bud that was amazing and a few cool friends. To make his night even better, his mom had been picking apples and making pies all day. The wonderful aromas of apples and spice had been teasing his nostrils since he woke up. Every time he tried to sneak a taste, Mom was there to chase him away. Greg had just snagged a warm pie, still in its baking dish. He had snuck outside to enjoy it before he got caught.

Wandering around the front parking area breathing the crisp forest air. Gazing at the clear skies filled with stars, he was waiting for his stolen pie to cool enough to eat. His drifting mind was interrupted when he heard some hushed mumbling over towards the truck entrance. Well, I guess I'll wander over and say hi. Greg just figured it was some teenage lovers trying to get some privacy. However, what he found was the Mayors four enforcers standing in front of their black Suburban planning something in hushed tones. He listened for a few minutes, hearing them planning on breaking into the house.

"Find that bitch and teach her a lesson, if anyone gets in your way do the same to them," the big one ordered.

Thinking this was interesting, he figured he may as well wander out and have a chat with them. Slipping through the trees, he casually headed out of the shadows, eating a forkful of pie. "Gentlemen, hi, what a magnificent night, eh? How are you guys doing?"

The four men turned and stared. The big guy smiling from ear to ear, appearing from out of the trees eating what looked like a pie. Seeing they were at a loss for words, Greg continued, "What an amazing night you guys picked to come out. The weather is perfect tonight." His  smile stretched across his face.

He looked up at the sky and took a deep breath, holding it for a moment, savouring the freshness. "Look at all those stars. I love the smell of the forest at night."

Greg looked back down to his pie and dug out another forkful. "Hey, my mom was picking apples and making pies all day, wanna try some?"

With that, he offered his pie to each of the men.

None ofthem responded. Still wondering what the hell was going on, they looked at each other.

"You sure? It is amazing, I don't know what makes it so good. I think she puts nutmeg in it. I could get mom to give you one to take with you when you go. Man, these are amazing. Hey, you guys are the Mayor's bodyguards or something, aren't you? So do you guys, try to scare people or something? Hey, is that a Glock?" Greg took another forkful of pie, looking at each of them inquisitively.

"Who the fuck are you!" barked one thug. "What the fuck do you want?"

"Just out for an evening stroll thought I'd say hi. Well, I had to sneak outside. I stole this pie, and if my mom finds me, she will kill me. Are you sure you don't want to try some, it's great? Not much left here now. I will finish it soon then you're out of luck," replied Greg between mouthfuls of the pie.

The thugs were getting aggravated now. This made Greg's smile even bigger. His eyes sparkled. He could feel his body turning over to warrior. It felt incredible. It was the aftermath he hated, all the dead. The rush though was incredible.  He had already estimated each of their strengths and weaknesses, evaluated the weapons they were carrying and decided on an attack order. He knew  that Cora had pissed the Mayor off, but he thought he would ask, always good to be sure.  It's only polite."You guys should be careful out here at night, lots of things that will consider you dinner. Those little 9mm's your carrying won't stop a Griz and you'll just piss off a Squatch. You won't have time to grab those ankle knives either. Oh. you guys should try trench knives, the handles make it less likely of losing it or even worse, cutting yourself."