eighteen • in-between state

i walked into econ after scott the next day, taking a seat beside stiles and pulling out my books. i tuned finstock out, beginning to doodle in my notebook. in all honesty, i wasn't sure why i had even taken this class this year. it was pointless, but i cant say i don't get a good laugh out of it everyday. whether it was coach yelling at a student, making snide remarks or mumbling something under his breath, it brought laughter to at least eighty percent of the class.

coach blew his whistle, causing me to jump in my seat and look up at him. "stilinski!"

my eyes travelled to the boy beside me, his eyes wide and his lips parted in shock. he nodded in response. "uh-huh?"

"i asked you a question," coach replied.

"uh, sorry, coach, what was it?" stiles asked, fidgeting with his pen nervously. my eyes travelled over the boy next to me, concern and worry going through my body as i stared at the sleep deprived teenager. my eyes moved to his notebook, my body leaning forward slightly to try and make out what was scribbled across the page. 'wake up' was written all across the page, causing my eyes to widen slightly.

"oh. it was, uh, stilinski are you paying attention back there?" he asked, repeating his question from before.

"oh," stiles breathed. "well, i am now."

"stilinski, stop reminding me why i drink..." coach trailed off, pointing an accusing finger at stiles. he continued, "every night. does anyone else want to answer the question on the board?"

stiles turned his head, his eyes locking with mine. my eyebrows raised in question, eyes filled with worry as i looked back to him.

he let out a sigh, shrugging. "i'm okay. i just fell asleep for a sec." stiles turned his head, looking to scott who wore the same expression as me.

"you weren't asleep," scott said, his eyes flickering down to the notebook. stiles head turned once more, looking down at the paper in front of him.

•••

isaac took the empty seat next to me at our lunch table, opening his books onto the table to try and get some homework done. i looked to stiles, his eyes darting around the school courtyard as he tapped the table top with his fingers. scott was staring down at the notebook in front of him, lost in thought. lydia was sat on the other side of me, her own notebook open in front of her as she tried to do the same as isaac. my eyes finally landed on allison, the girl placed between scott and stiles with her fingers in her mouth as she nervously chewed on her fingernails.

"okay," scott spoke up, his eyes raising from the top of the picnic table. "what happens to a person who has a near death experience and comes out of it seeing things?"

"and, is unable to tell what's real, or not?" stiles added.

"and, is being haunted by demonic visions of dead relatives?" allison commented, moving her hand from her mouth and placing it on the table in front of her.

"they're all locked up, because they're insane," isaac answered, raising his eyes from his book to look around the table of people. my eyes widened slightly and i sat up straighter, my elbow nudging isaacs arm as i stared at him in shock.

"can you at least try to be helpful, please?" stiles asked, his eyes narrowing at the curly haired boy beside me.

"for half of my childhood, i was locked in a freezer, being helpful is kind of a new thing for me," isaac replied, cocking his head to the side as he stared back at stiles. i let out a groan, rubbing my forehead with my hand at the two bickering teenagers. scott leaned forward, his head landing in his hands as he grew annoyed with the two as well.