Twenty Five Part Three

Beginne am Anfang

Betsy narrowed her eyes upon Eli. "I do not believe so, Sir." She looked to Violet, who held up a hand, then Vi strode down to the main deck to speak to Pete and Sam.

The two nodded and disappeared below deck, coming back a few moments later, carrying the crate of broken china.

Violet directed them to the stern with the crate. Sam opened it and he and Pete stood back waiting to see what Violet would do.

Violet removed one of the plates that had been chipped. He held it up, and in answer, the commander raised the rifle to his shoulder, explaining to Betsy about the kick the gun would give, as he did so.

Eli then took aim over the water as Violet flung the plate as far and as high away from him as he could.

Eli chipped an edge off the plate before it dropped into the sea.

"Now you try it." Eli handed her the rifle, Betsy loaded it as he had shown her, looking to him for confirmation she had done it correctly.

He smiled and nodded, then stepped behind her and helped her place the stock on her shoulder correctly. He was glad she wore his coat and it would pad her small frame when the gun fired.

Eli directed her to look down the sight for accuracy.

When Eli stepped away from her, Violet held up another plate, until she nodded, then he let it fly.

The plate shattered mid air and rained down into the sea.

Betsy turned to Eli, her eyes glittering with pleasure, "Oh my, that was wonderful! Can I do it again?"

Eli laughed and bowed towards her, handing her another bullet, he looked over his shoulder to see Eleanor standing a few paces behind him.

"You could not resist, could you?" Eleanor then knew her plan had worked, Elizabeth should not be a prisoner any longer.

Eli must now see that the girl never intended to harm him.

Eli could not wait to see the surprise upon the Monarch's face when Alexander's daughter was delivered to him.

*******************************************
Even though his wife was still onboard the other ship, Violet felt much better. She was well, he could see that for himself, and the commander was now apprised of her skill.

Did the commander yet know who she was? Violet wondered.

Violet was filled with a pride that came from being her husband. He had definitely been blessed the day he met this fine maid. That she had actually been a Lady's maid had him shaking his head in wonder.

He smiled ruefully before letting a saucer fly, swinging his fist in the air slightly and grinning, as Betsy hit the smaller object with ease.

"Vi, they are preparing to set sail." Brutus called down, as Violet realized Betsy was now looking around for the commander.

Eli was midship, he had just given orders to get them under way.

Violet called out, "Man the sails, boys, we have a ship to keep up with." Violet was glad they were at least doing something.

He walked to the rail as Betsy handed the rifle off to a crewman. She flew to the rail to hold her hand out towards Violet, her face was desperate.

Violet reached his hand out towards her, "I love you" He called out, as she looked at him furtively, before seeking the commander with her eyes.

Her eyes flew to Eli in confusion, before she looked back to Violet, he could see the hurt in her face.

Damn! She had not known she would not be returned to him. "It will be alright, I shall be right behind you." He called out, as the Omega started pulling away from them.