25. Preparations

Astrid spends the rest of the day resting and talking to her family while the others pack. The hunt for the vampire didn't do her wounds any favors, so she's glad to have a bit of time to let them heal. It's good to gather strength for the journey ahead. Still, she feels restless, and the fact that the only foods available seem to be fruits and vegetables doesn't help. She still remembers the moment she woke up in her new body. That feeling of strength and energy is now leaving her and the culprit is clear. The vegetarian diet of the last two days is good enough to stave off the burning hunger, but it never really fills her. These akfruits, while large, don't provide much in the way of nourishment and Astrid can feel it. Her mind is dulled. Even though she's awake, thinking is difficult.

Her older brother doesn't seem to have a problem eating nothing but fruits and vegetables. It seems that none of the giants do. As a matter of fact, Kilian doesn't want to eat meat anymore at all. While Astrid was on Fynn's revenge trip, he helped the others gather food in the fields surrounding the farm. He told Astrid that these akfruit things grow on small trees that are barely as big as a human. Her brother also told her that he figured out he can eat leaves and that they actually don't taste that bad – all while stuffing an akfruit into his mouth after every sentence.

Astrid, on the other hand, is annoyed by the fact that there isn't a single bit of meat here. She wonders why. They have hunters and they have guns. Why not just shoot some of these animals and be done with it?

As much as she feels for the creatures, her stomach is stronger than her empathy.

According to her brother, the Mayor told the hunters to save their ammunition. He explained to her that they tried to hunt the bison-like beasts, which they now call ornns, but they made some sort of droning noise that caused incredible pain. After one of the hunters got beaten black and blue by this magical sonic attack, none of them dared to get close to the things again.

Kilian stuffs another akfruit into his mouth, as Fynn calls Astrid's name.

He, the Sheriff, the Mayor, and a kobold Astrid doesn't know are walking towards a barn.

Astrid limps over to them and asks, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. We're just discussing the details of our plan. Maybe you can help."

Astrid shrugs. She has no idea what she's supposed to contribute, but says, "Sure."

"Great. This is Tom." Fynn gestures towards the kobold. "He oversaw the construction of the fortifications."

"Nice to meet you." The kobold extends a hand to Astrid. His fur is almost pitch black, with white rings around his eyes and a bit of white at the tip of his tail. She leans down and shakes his hand.

They walk across the courtyard and Fynn pulls open a sliding door. The inside of the barn is filled with farming implements and a large green flatbed trailer.

Fynn gestures at it. "That's what we used to transport hay from the fields. It's the biggest thing we have."

Brushing over her imaginary beard, the Sheriff inspects the vehicle. "This thing is going to need serious modification if we want to travel with it. Tom, you think you can get it ready by tomorrow?"

"That depends on what you want me and my boys to do."

The Sheriff pulls down the steel grille used as a ramp for loading the flatbed, and climbs on top. "We need to add paneling to the sides to prevent things from falling off and to give us cover. It's gonna be tight, but we should be able to fit everyone on this thing and still have enough room for supplies. We're able to weld things, right?"

Tom nods and says, "We have a gas welder and that wizard can use his finger like a plasma cutter. We're good on that end, but—"

Astrid's eyes widen.