15. A Mage's Mind: The Girl and the God

Cold wind blows snow in Novi's face, tossing her jet-black hair in every direction. She struggles to keep up with the others as her small legs sink deep into the snow of the mountains. She looks up at the elven woman in front of her. She is three times Novi's size and dressed in thick fur shoes, wide brown pants that are secured to her legs by thin leather straps, and a white tunic with an embroidered green trim around the collar. Her long white hair is held down by a dark-green cap secured by a metal diadem of twisted bronze. She's stomping through the snow, fast steps increasing the distance between her and Novi. "Mom, don't go so fast. I can't keep up."

Her mother turns but doesn't stop. "Kaisa. Help your sister."

"When I fell behind, you said, 'Fall behind, get left behind.'" Kaisa grabs Novi's extended hand and pulls her out of the snow.

Their mother looks back. "You're an adult. Stop whining." She increases her pace, forcing Novi to stumble along as Kaisa struggles to keep up herself. Their other two sisters glance at them but don't say anything.

The mountain looms in front of them and soon their destination comes into view. Jagged rocks form the start of a narrow path up the mountain. Tents have been set up around the entrance and orange lights spill out of the windows of slowly crumbling houses. Campfires provide warmth to the dozen or so elves giving what was once the village of Kin's Minas new life.

"Mom, are we there yet?" Novi asks. Her feet are nearly frozen and her body both burns from exhaustion and feels numb from the cold.

"We are."

The other elves greet them as they pass. Novi's mother doesn't pay attention to most of them, but one catches her eye. The male elf is busy sharpening a slightly tarnished bronze sword. Novi's mother changes course and approaches him.

"Erling. I thought you'd like to meet your daughter. Novi, say hello to your father."

Novi stumbles towards the man, who sets down his sword and stands up to meet her. "Ah, Illiana. It's been a while. And this is Novi. She's grown quite a bit."

Novi looks him up and down. He's tall and has his white hair tied back in a short ponytail. She doesn't remember ever seeing him before and wants to say something, but can't come up with any words.

The man only gives Novi a glance before her mother's words pull his eyes back onto her. "Children tend to do that."

"Will you be joining our warband in the raids? We could use a master of life."

"Yes I will, but I won't be participating in any fights I don't need to."

The man nods. "We always need someone to watch the children and wounded. What about your daughters?"

"Kaisa and Nahda can cast their spells under pressure and Kin will give them the courage they need. So yes."

"Your daughters are just as beautiful as you and I'm sure they're just as skilled in magic as well. If I had any sons, I'm sure they'd be charmed."

Novi's mother smiles. "You always were a charmer yourself, but really? Not a single son?"

The elf picks up his sword and sheaths it. "I know of twenty-three children from nineteen different women and not a single one is a boy. I know the odds are low, but they're not that low and I'm starting to think something's wrong with me."

"Come on. It's probably dumb luck. The Destroyer's curse affects everyone equally."

"Yes, that it does... Anyway. Once enough have gathered here, we will form a warband. I intend on keeping the mantle of dictator for now. If I'm allowed to keep it, I don't want to take any big risks this season. We'll hit a few smaller villages without penetrating too deep into the human lands and see how things go. I've heard rumors. Another Deep Wood Invasion is coalescing, and while the legion is busy, we will use the opportunity. Until then, we will bide our time and play it safe."