8. High Rock

As they leave the compound, they can already see the town in the distance. The fog still hangs around it, clinging to the buildings. Even as a cold wind tosses leaves into the air and blows Astrid's hair around, the fog continues to move in that slow, random, supernatural manner, apparently undisturbed by the moving air.

While making a beeline across the open fields would be the fastest way to High Rock, it would also leave them exposed to an attack by one of those massive birds that roam the sky, which someone dubbed grippers. A fitting name, considering they swoop down from the sky and grab their prey.

Instead, the group decides to take the road that runs along the edge of the forest. Should a gripper or something similar appear, they could run into the shadow of the trees for cover, and if something attacks them from the forest, they can run out into the open.

Their horses trot along the road, while behind them the tractor roars, making almost as much noise as a jackhammer.

Fynn points down the road. "Let's ride ahead and make sure the road is clear." He doesn't wait for an answer and spurs Shiva into a gallop, immediately followed by the Sheriff and Poldi.

Astrid barely needs to tap her legs against Ranger's body to make him follow suit.

They gallop over the road until the sound of cracking twigs surprises them from within the forest. It's so loud that they can hear it over the clopping of hooves against the asphalt. The three riders simultaneously rein in their horses and stop.

"What is that?" Astrid asks. She squints and sees a large shape move between the trees, but the young trees and bushes growing next to the road prevent her from actually seeing the creature. Astrid expects the others to go for their weapons, but Fynn only turns his horse and gets ready to bolt in case the creature turns out to be hostile, while the Sheriff waits and watches the thick tree line.

More twigs snap beneath heavy feet.

Astrid sees a light red glow from between the leaves before a massive head slowly emerges. It's covered in bone armor and has a small, pointed mouth made from bone that looks a bit like a beak. Protruding from the back of its head are four triangular horns.

The creature doesn't seem the slightest bit interested in them as it stomps out of the forest. Four relatively short legs carry a long, slightly oval body covered in knobbed bone armor. The body ends with a long tail tipped in a bone club covered in more small knobs.

It places an armored foot on the road, cracking the asphalt. With booming steps, it crosses the road and begins grazing on the meadow, while part of its body remains on the bitumen. Including the tail, the creature is about as long as two cars and as tall as two humans.

They all stare as it devours a bush whole.

Fynn whispers, "God. That thing must weigh almost ten tons... It looks almost like... an ankylosaur." With his mouth open, he watches it close its beak over a whole patch of grass. "How is this possible?"

The Sheriff doesn't bother to whisper: "A what?"

"A dinosaur. It looks almost like a dinosaur. I can't believe it."

The Sheriff just shrugs. "It seems harmless... Okay, maybe not harmless, but not out to kill us. Let's go tell the others something's blocking the road."

While she turns her horse and starts to ride back, Astrid looks at Fynn and says, "Are you serious? I've been transformed into an elf and your father is a cross between a dwarf and a teddy bear, but it's something that looks like a dinosaur that takes your breath away?"

"Those are the things that made me wake up this morning, convinced that yesterday was a dream. This is something that takes my breath away because I've been a fan of dinosaurs since I was small. Seeing one in person, or at least something that kind of looks like one is... Well, let's just say it makes up for the fact that my laptop is deep-fried. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually looking forward to finding out what other creatures this event created."