28. Slaughter

They tied the horses to a young birch tree at the edge of a nearby clearing, guarded by Fynn's wolf. They figured Oskar would scare off any smaller predators, and just in case something larger came along, Fynn tied his leash to the ends off the ropes that bind the horses to the trees. If Oskar had pulled on his leash, he would have freed both himself and the horses. Neither Astrid nor the Sheriff was sure giving the dog the ability to free himself was a very good idea, but when they return to the clearing, they see him standing exactly where they left him, staring in their direction. His half-open mouth with its large teeth makes it look like he's intent on murdering them, but his wagging tail tells them he's happy they're back.

Still, he doesn't move from his designated spot.

Fynn runs up to him and starts scratching his back. "Good boy." The wolf looks up at Fynn and opens his mouth wider. His jaws could fit Fynn's head between them. "You like that, don't you?"

The Sheriff looks down at both of them and says, "I must say, Fynn, Oskar is incredibly well trained."

"You hear that, Oskar? The Sheriff thinks you're a good boy too. Because you are!" Fynn continues to scratch Oskar. Then he pulls on his leash, untying the wolf and the three horses at the same time.

The Sheriff awkwardly stands in front of Shiva. "Uh... Fynn, Astrid, could you help me up? It's a bit hard without hands." She shakes her hands, causing the small chain connecting the two cuffs to quietly rattle.

Astrid and Fynn get into position behind her and start pushing the Sheriff up.

"God this is embarrassing," she says.

Fynn and Astrid manage to push her far enough up so that her leg can swing over the horse's back. She puts her feet into the stirrups, then sits up straight, in a casual posture.

While she keeps her back straight, she allows her shoulders to slouch, while at the same time pushing them back. While the way she sits in her saddle is comfortable, it causes her cut clothing to part even more than it did on its own.

Astrid thinks it might be better for her modesty if the Sheriff tried pushing her shoulders and upper body forward a bit. She is sure the Sheriff knows she's parading her breasts though, and decides not to say anything.

"You guys do know I can't control the horse. Right?" the Sheriff says. She waves her cuffed hands at them from behind her back.

"Right." Fynn grabs the rope that tied the Shiva to the tree and attaches it to Imka's saddle. Then he mounts his horse.

They snake their way between the trees as they try to get back to the road. Astrid does her best to ride next to the Sheriff.

As she sees Astrid pull up next to her, she smiles and says, "Ha. I feel like a damsel in a western." She strains against her handcuffs. "Wearing these things really makes you feel for the criminals that get these slapped on. They are really uncomfortable and your joints start hurting after a while."

Astrid isn't sure if she should bring the subject up again, but she feels like she needs to say something. "Sheriff Winkler..."

The other elf interrupts her. "Why does everyone keep calling me Sheriff or Sheriff Winkler? My name is Manfred." She stares down at her own chest, then laughs.

Astrid can't really share in the joke, and tries to remember why she calls the Sheriff, Sheriff. "Back at your house, you told us to call you Sheriff Winkler."

She chuckles, causing her shoulders to jump up and down. "I guess I did."

"Sheriff... I wanted to say thank you. For before."