23. A Mage's Mind: Bandits

The backpack weighs heavily on Novi's shoulders as she and her two friends slowly make their way through the forest. The three young she-elves with no more than a few strands of white in their dark hair follow a path cut into the undergrowth. Broad enough for a cart to drive through, it leads east, towards the dragon kingdoms of Campestria, and will end where the Deep Wood of the dryads begins. They are all clothed in loose dresses sold to them by a dragon merchant. Even though they are less conspicuous than they would be wearing the makeshift fur and bronze armors their kind is known for, the kobold had warned them not to interact with any patrols. Legion or otherwise.

A way down the path, they spot a human. A man wielding a bow and wearing a leather jacket over a brown shirt and gray pants. A wooden arrow with an amber tip is nocked on his bowstring.

He spots them, but doesn't raise his weapon.

As the elves get closer, they see what the man is guarding. Ten other men are taking apart a camp, while two kobolds and one dark-skinned woman lie hogtied on the ground. Novi and the others can't help but watch.

The man notices their gaze. "Move along, elf-things. This is people business."

Novi doesn't really care what they are doing, but being told to go away piques her interest and being called an elf-thing makes her anger boil up. Even though she feels the urge to rip the man's throat out, she looks at his companions first. There are eleven of them, and even though Novi and her two friends all know some magic, these humans look well-armed and dangerous. If one of them is a mage, they would likely overpower the elves if they started a fight.

Her friend Tili just steps past her and purrs, "Excuse us, but we just like to watch men work. Especially hunky outlaws with swords and ropes."

The man visibly relaxes and says, "Look, elf, I'm always up for a bit of fun, but we're busy right now. It's like I said. People business."

Another human man walks over. He's dressed in the same brown clothes as the other but wields a bronze sword and an amber shield instead of a bow. "Who are they?"

The one with the bow says, "Just some horny elves. I was just telling them to get lost."

"Is that so?" The man eyes the three elves carefully. Novi glares back, her eyes drilling into him as he looks her up and down. "Well, I think this people business might just become elf business too. Say, how would you three like to earn something?"

"Like what?" Novi asks.

The man shrugs and walks closer to them. The closer he gets, the more Novi has to tilt her head down to look at him. "Oh, I don't know. That depends on what you want. Some gold, some food, some information? Or maybe some hunky outlaws and booze is more up your alley. Ah, who are we kidding? We'd give you those last ones for free."

Novi glares at him, greed, boredom, and curiosity overpowering her anger and hatred for the creatures in front of her. "What do you want?"

"Something really simple. I want three tall, yellow-eyed women to come along with this little band of mine and help us... persuade a few misguided folks. You see, there's a settlement of kobolds and kobold-lovers nearby. Just a few years old, but already some fifty critters strong. They've decided to take two of our boys prisoner. We just captured these three here and now we're going to march up there and persuade those yokels to release our friends. Maybe we can convince you fine elves to come with us. Just to make sure these people see the error of their ways without us having to spell it out in their guts."

"Sounds simple enough," Anselma says. "I'd say five gold units for us, plus that evening of food, booze and pleasant company you talked about."

"You're overestimating your worth—" the man with the bow starts, but he's silenced by a wave from the other man.