7. The Farm

As they get closer, Astrid can make out details on the bison-like creatures that feed on the grass growing around the farm. They are comparable to cows in that they walk on four legs, but that's where the similarities end. Their front legs look a good deal longer than their hind legs and their chests are the largest part of their bodies, making their behinds look tiny in comparison. Brown fur like that of bison covers their entire bodies. None of them have horns, but they look big enough to trample a human, or an elf, without them. Luckily, they seem peaceful and utterly disinterested in everything other than the plants they're eating.

"What's that?" Lukas asks.

At first Astrid assumes he means the cow creatures, but that's not what he's pointing at. Her eyes follow his finger to find a massive creature flying towards them. A creature that immediately reminds her of a claw ripping a gash across her shoulder.

Seeing the flying predator head in their direction, she screams, "Run!"

Startled by her sudden yell, the others quickly notice the bird. They all bolt for the burnt-out building.

Adrenaline floods Astrid's veins as she starts running but she can't help but look back to see the monster beginning a dive. Sure that the creature is headed straight for her, a scream forces its way past her lips. Her eyes are fixed on the feathered monstrosity as it closes in at blinding speed. Her legs trip over something and she falls. First her knees, then her chest and finally her cheek connect with the hard pavement. The impact rattles her brain and hurts like hell, but fear suppresses the pain. She desperately tries to pull her revolver from its holster and turn to face the creature at the same time.

She's too slow, and if the monster were aiming for her, she would be within its claws before she could lift the weapon. But the bird has a different plan. Its dive carries it straight over Astrid's head, and with a quiet whoosh and a loud bwaah of pain, its talons sink into a young cow-creature. With the screaming animal in its claws, the giant bird shoots back into the air.

As it rapidly regains altitude, Astrid can't help but stare after it. She was absolutely sure that it was headed straight for her and if it had been, she'd be impaled on its talons, on her way to God-knows-where.

"That! Was close!" Lukas says as he walks up to Astrid. He reaches down to help her up. Help she gladly accepts.

Fynn raises his weapon and aims at the monster, but doesn't remove the safety. "That thing flying around makes me want to go right back into the forest," he says as he lowers his weapon once more.

The Sheriff pants. Her eyes follow the creature too as it flies away. "Let's keep going."

The others don't need to be told twice.

They continue walking at a brisk pace.

As they pass the smoldering ruins of the large farmhouse, Astrid peeks through a broken window. As expected, there is nothing but soot and ash inside.

"What happened here?" she wonders out loud.

Fynn replies, "Maybe whatever blew out all our electronics caused the fire. Maybe we have dragons now. Who cares?"

Noah turns his head and, over his shoulder, says, "I would really like to know if dragons are flying around, setting buildings on fire."

Lukas points at the large farm ahead. "Speaking of fire, look. There's smoke coming from that chimney."

True enough, a small plume of smoke rises from the roof of one of the buildings.

Fynn lets out a sudden breath, causing Astrid to spin around. "Thank God. That means my parents are still alive."