21. Eclipse

Finding the pond her mother is in isn't difficult. Two merfolk are lying in the water, playing a game of chess. The merman that used to be Astrid's mother is sitting in the shallow water with his back to her.

The mermaid he's playing with raises her head as Astrid approaches, causing him to turn his.

"Astrid? Oh, thank God you made it." He stretches out his hands. Astrid leans in and hugs him, but shivers as the cold, slippery and rubber-like skin touches her. As soon as Astrid pulls away, he hugs her brother.

The merman looks her up and down and asks, "Are you all right? What happened to you?"

"We got attacked. Elijah can tell you all about it. I just wanted to make sure you're okay before we set out again."

The merman looks taken aback. "What? Where are you going? You just escaped that dragon, and you look wounded."

"We're going to hunt down the vampire that killed Fynn's mother. Don't worry, I just need to show them the house where we fought."

The merman looks worried. "Please don't do anything dangerous. I can't lose you too, Astrid."

Astrid pauses. 'Should I tell her that the dragon might be Dad? No. If I'm wrong, It would just break her heart even more.'

"Astrid?" the merman says. "Please don't get yourself killed."

"Astrid!" Fynn yells from the back of Shiva.

"We won't even fight her. I'm not going to get myself in any danger. See you later," Astrid says.

She doesn't see the worried expression on the merman's face.

Fynn jumps off Shiva and helps Astrid mount Ranger without damaging the bandages on her leg.

"I really have to get some proper riding pants, boots, and a new shirt," Astrid says as soon as she's in the saddle.

Fynn chuckles. "You're right. I'd offer you my stuff, but I doubt it'll fit."

"Nothing fits me." Astrid gestures at her clothes.

"That reminds me," Fynn says. "Catch." He throws Astrid a small plastic box.

"Come on you two. Let's go!" calls the Sheriff, who's waiting by the gate with Noah.

Knowing there must be food inside the little box, Astrid tears open the lid. The very thought of something to eat causes the hunger that hasn't really left her alone these past few days to flare up.

The small box is filled with slivers of cold meat. It's not much and tastes bland, but Astrid devours it anyway. By the time they reach the farm's exit, she is already done. It wasn't much, and it only leaves her hungrier than before. Still, Astrid figures it's better than nothing. She leaves the empty box on one of the tipped cars that act as barricades.

Fynn, the Sheriff, Noah, Astrid and Oskar leave the farm. Astrid leads the small group back the way she came. Their progress is slow, since the wounded Astrid can't trot, but eventually they reach the house. It is exactly the way Astrid and her brother left it.

"All right. Let's go inside and see if Oskar can pick up her scent," Fynn says. The small group dismounts and they enter.

As they walk through the entrance hall, Fynn turns to Astrid and asks, "Did she say where my mother was?"

Astrid tries to remember. "She said she buried her in the backyard, but when I got here, she came from the basement. Your mother might be down there."

"We can check later," the Sheriff interrupts them. "Let's focus on catching and killing that vampire before she can get away or hurt anyone else."