Chapter 29: Shady Storm Clouds

Update (07/11/22): Grammatical errors fixed. Minor sentence changes throughout. Paragraph change during 18+ scene.

Mini A/N – Hey guys! I'm back with another chapter ☺️ I just got a new computer in place of my phone, for the time being, meaning we should be back on schedule! Other than that, I don't have much else to say but... 

⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ This chapter contains 18+ content. If you do not want to read it, then don't! I'll give you another warning below. Enjoy!

        You hummed quietly to the music playing through your headphones as you rearranged books

        You hummed quietly to the music playing through your headphones as you rearranged books. The new shipment you ordered had just come in, and you had to make space for them. Okay, those here...and these go, here. You stood back, admiring your work before bending down to grab the cardboard box on the floor and move it to a different shelf. The summer rush was over since it was a few days into September now, meaning you were back working in your dad's bookstore. Even though it had almost been three weeks since you worked at the arcade or the amusement park, it still felt weird not to overexert yourself or stress. You missed it even though you knew working so much was bad for your physical and mental health. Maybe it was the adrenaline, you think with a chuckle as you adjusted the black bandana in your (h/c) hair. The bookstore and the boardwalk were silent except for the occasional seagull cawing or the sound of your denim overalls shuffling when you moved. You placed the last textbook on the shelf before kicking the empty box across the floor, smiling when it stopped behind the counter as you intended. The new school year was going to start soon, so you ordered some textbooks and more nonfiction novels than usual to keep business going. You knew that overachieving students like Connie and parents with high expectations would be the main ones buying up inventory, but you didn't mind. You chuckled smugly at your genius, walking over to the checkout counter. Leaning against it, you pulled your phone from your pocket, turning it on. You skipped the song that had started to play, switching apps to check your text messages. You hadn't received any new ones, and you frowned slightly, expecting to see one from Jasper. You hadn't seen or heard from the gem since last night. When you woke up to get ready for work, her room door was tightly shut, and she hadn't come down the stairs before you left either. You assumed she might have just been asleep, but it was ten thirty-eight in the morning. She should be awake by now, you think with a sigh. You were about to resort to calling her to relieve your worry, but the loud ringing of the bell above the door caught your attention. Steven ran in wearing a pair of light blue jean shorts instead of his normal blue ones. "(Y/n)! (Y/n)!" You smiled at his enthusiasm, going around the counter to meet him halfway.

        "Yes, Steven, what is it?" you asked with a chuckle. He grabbed ahold of your waist, squeezing you in a hug.

        "Do you want to come on a trip with me?" You raised a delicate eyebrow, ruffling his hair.