Chapter 19: The Second Mom

Update (08/06/21): Grammatical errors were fixed, minor sentence changes

Update v.2 (06/04/23): Grammatical errors fixed, many (MANY) minor sentence changes

Mini A/N The picture above is used in this chapter for Jasper.

        You groaned quietly, stretching under your covers. You flicked one eye open, reaching out to grab your phone from the nightstand. 6:09 AM. You sighed, disappointed that you woke up before your seven o'clock alarm. Well, since I'm already up, I might as well make the most of it. You hopped out of bed, making it up before you went to the bathroom. You turned on the shower water, walking back out of the tiled enclosure to get your underclothes. You then returned to the bathroom, undressed from your pajamas, and stepped into the shower. You sighed, letting the hot water run down your face. The bookstore will be closed at two today, and then I'll head over to the arcade, like yesterday. That means I'll be keeping the keys over the weekend. I just have to make sure to give them back to Mr. Smiley on Monday and let him know I won't be in town to work Friday. You hummed quietly to yourself as you rinsed the soap suds off of your body, turning the showerhead off after. You stepped on the bathmat and grabbed your towel from the rack. You dried yourself off, moving over to the mirror. Surprised I managed to keep my hair dry. You smiled, putting your bra and underwear on before leaving the misty bathroom. You went to your dresser, grabbed your brush, and ran it through your (h/c) hair. Once your hair was manageable enough to run your fingers through comfortably, you get your curling iron, carrying it into the bathroom with you. You plugged it in and placed it on the side of the sink, turning it on. You went back into your bedroom, going to the closet to pick out your outfit for the day while the curling iron heated up. You tapped your chin, your eyes roaming the many clothes lined up on hangers.

        You finally decided on an outfit, pulling it from the closet and laying it on the comforter on your bed. I think I'll go for something cute today... You giggled to yourself, feeling giddy. You didn't know why, but you loved getting dressed up occasionally. Maybe it had something to do with your mother being a singer and stage performer. Some of the outfits you'd seen her get dressed up in for work were very extravagant. You returned to the bathroom, grabbing your comb from your dresser on the way there. You parted your hair on the side, pushing the sections apart until a portion rested gently over your eye. You ran the comb through your hair quickly, grabbing the curling iron and working on the ends of your (h/l) locks. When your ends were curled, you ran the comb through the curls to spread them out so they weren't so defined. You did a little dance in the mirror, happy that your hair came out the way you intended. You turned off the hair utensil and unplugged it as well. You left it by the sink to cool off before you would put it away. Returning to your room, you noticed that Storm wasn't in her bed. You raised an eyebrow, grabbing the white jean shorts off the hanger. Where is that kitten? You realized you hadn't seen much of her since last night when Kehlani and Millie showed up. Maybe she's hiding somewhere...they are strangers to her after all. You sighed, going back to the mirror above your dresser. You decided to put on makeup; just enough so it was a little noticeable. You went to grab the white tank top from the hanger next, sucking your teeth in slight annoyance. "I should have put the shirt on first...now my makeup is going to get all over it." You groaned, stretching the hole of the shirt that your head was supposed to go through as far as it would go, carefully slipping it over your head. You pumped your fist in the air when you successfully got it over your head without any mishaps. You flattened the shirt out, tucking the front of it into your shorts. The front of the t-shirt had light pink roses printed on it, with the words 'CARPE DIEM' written along the stems of the roses. You went back to your closet, pulling out the light pink windbreaker you had gotten with the outfit. You pulled on the beige zipper, tossing the open jacket onto the bed. You then grabbed the box that stored the new pair of shoes you bought when you ordered Jasper's. You opened the box, pulling out the beige platform ankle boots. The heel of the shoe was thick and dark brown, which would give you more stability. You never really wore heels like that, but when you decided to, they always looked great. You smiled to yourself again, putting the box back into the closet before closing it. And last but not least, you thought, going into your bottom drawer and taking out a pair of beige thigh-high socks. You then went to your nightstand to grab your phone before leaving your room with your jacket, shoes, and socks. You closed your door behind you, making your way down the stairs when your seven o'clock alarm rang. You pressed the button on your phone screen to stop the loud noise as you walked down the rest of the stairs. Jasper was lying on the couch in an almost fetal position to fit her entire body onto the piece of furniture. That's why I wanted them to be in my room, you thought with a sigh. Storm was on the floor under the coffee table, curled into a ball. You shook your head slowly, walking over to put your jacket and socks on one of the barstools in the kitchen, and placing your shoes down next to it. You opened the fridge, leaning down into the appliance. What should I cook for breakfast?...