Chapter 23: The Fourth of July Party

Update (03/17/22): Major (Jasper and TJ's 1st convo) and minor sentence changes. Grammatical errors were fixed. New image added.

Mini A/N – As y'all already know...this chapter took me a LONG time to complete. But here it is! I hope you guys enjoy it, and don't forget to give me some feedback with comments and votes. I love you guys...and I mean it! Enjoy the chapter 😘

(Y/n)'s POV

You rolled over to the other side of the bed, pulling the covers over your chilly form. Your eyes sprung open, the early morning light casually laying over them. You blinked a couple of times before sighing, realizing Jasper wasn't in bed again. You chuckled to yourself, shifting over onto your back as you looked up at the ceiling. I'm thinking that as if we're a couple or something. You blushed slightly at the thought, sitting up in the bed. Kehlani was still sound asleep in the bed opposite you, but Millie was nowhere in the vicinity. You raised a delicate eyebrow, sliding your legs from under the covers before allowing your feet to touch the plush carpet under you. Maybe she's in mom's art studio with Jasper.

*Flashback to yesterday, July 3rd*

You woke up early in the morning, your body craving water. You rolled out of bed, shuffling to the door and pushing it open. Your bare feet padded against the hardwood flooring of the hallway, the sudden temperature change of the kitchen tile making you wince. You opened the refrigerator, pouring yourself a glass of water from the pitcher. You turned, leaning against the counter as you gulped down the ice-cold liquid. Sighing in satisfaction, you placed the glass onto the island with a soft clink. Your eyes suddenly caught sight of the faint light coming from under the door to your mom's art studio. You quickly glanced at the clock on the microwave, seeing that it was a little past six-thirty in the morning. Is mom really working on something this early, you thought, as you walked around the kitchen island and towards the door. They do say that inspiration doesn't sleep. You twisted the doorknob, pushing the slab of wood open to reveal Jasper sitting at the desk in the room. Her elbow was pressed against the desk's surface, her hand supporting her head as she scribbled on a piece of paper. "Jasper," you questioned quietly, shutting the door behind you. The gem flinched, quickly turning around to face you, her amber eyes all too wide. "What are you doing up so early," you asked, rubbing at your eyes.
"I—u-um...," she stuttered, looking around the room as if searching for the right thing to say. A dark blush began to spread across her face, and you giggled, walking up to her. She attempted to hide some of the papers from you, but you got ahold of one of them, glancing over it. Your brows furrowed in confusion as you tried to read her neat handwriting, handing her back the paper when you couldn't.
"What language is that, Jasper?" The gem cleared her throat, turning the small stack of papers over, hiding the words.
"It's written in Gem Glyph...my native language." You gasped, pressing your palms against her thighs as you leaned towards her.
"Teach me!" Jasper chuckled, pushing some of your (h/c) hair out of your face.
"Maybe later..." You pouted, sighing as you stood up straight again.
"Well, if you aren't going to teach me now, you could at least put me back to sleep again." The gem sighed, standing up. She scooped you up into her arms, pushing the door open with her foot. You chuckled evilly, kicking your legs like a child. Jasper rolled her eyes, a small smile on her face.
"You're such a baby..."
"No, I'm just lazy. There's a difference." Jasper shook her head before placing you back in the bed, crawling in after you.
"Just...go to sleep. I still have to finish what I was doing."
"M'kay," you mumbled, latching your arms around the gem's neck as you closed your eyes.

*End of Flashback*

You crept down the hallway, peeking into the art studio quietly. Just as you thought, Millie was in there, sitting in Jasper's lap as the gem continued to write whatever she was writing. Her hand movements were a lot quicker than last night, and she seemed almost restless. You decided not to bother her just yet and headed back into the bedroom, planning to catch a few more Z's.