Chapter 20: The Rainy Day

Update (11/13/21): Grammatical errors were fixed, changes to many conversations.

Jasper's POV

I groaned quietly, opening my eyes as I felt someone shaking my shoulder gently. I blinked slowly, turning my head to the person who ruined my somewhat peaceful sleep. The couch wasn't in any way pleasant for a gem of my size to lay on comfortably. I practically had to curl my knees up to my chest just to fit on the cushions completely. And when that got too uncomfortable, I would stretch out fully with my head and legs over the arms of the sofa. I would usually end up with a crook in my neck or pain in my legs no matter how I lay. I squinted slightly, my eyes adjusting to the light my gem was giving off in the dark living room. Millie was beside me, a small teddy bear in her arms as she looked at me curiously. I sat up on the couch, putting my feet on the floor on either side of the child. "Millie...what are you doing up," I asked, rubbing my eyes and letting out a yawn. The little girl turned her back to me, leaning against my torso. I smiled softly, resting my elbows on my thighs, allowing my hands to hang limply over my knees.
"...couldn't sleep," she mumbled, fidgeting with the small toy in her hands. I chuckled, resting my chin in the messy curls atop her head.
"Did you tell your mommy that you couldn't sleep?" Millie stayed quiet for a moment, not answering my question. "Millie?"
"...no. She—she not wake up so I come down here 'cause it dark."
"And you were scared in the dark by yourself?" She nodded slowly, putting the bear on the coffee table before backing up into my arms again. She grabbed both of my hands, turning them to expose my palms. I watched as she placed her own hands in mine, tracing her fingers along the lines of my palms before focusing solely on my left one. I closed my hand on top of one of hers, rubbing the top of it with my thumb. "What made you decide to come down here? I know you were scared of the dark but, it's dark down here too."
"Because you were down here...and I—it not as dark and scary when you down here." My eyes widened, the movement subtle as I raised my eyebrows.
"What do you mean it's not as dark down here?" Millie turned back around in my arms, looking up at me with her big (e/c) eyes. She reached up slowly, touching my gem gently. Her hands were warm, and she gasped quietly, continuing to prod at my gem.
"Your nose glows like Rudolph, which not scary, so that why."
"Rudolph?"
"Yeah, Santa's deer. He's the leader because he makes light," Millie explained, pulling her hand away from my gem. The light from it lit up her face and part of the living room area. "Why?"
"Why what, baby," I asked softly, pulling her up into my lap.
"Why does your nose do that," she asked, touching my gem again. I laughed softly, scrunching my face up.
"I'm going to tell you a secret, okay? But you can't tell anyone," I whispered. Millie nodded, her eyes widening. "That's not a nose. It's my gem."
"Gem?"
"Yeah."
"So...you don't have a nose?" I shook my head, smiling at her. "How do you smell then?" I laughed at the little girl's question, sitting back on the chair. She rested her hands on my shoulders, looking into my face intently.
"It's complicated."
"Why don't I have a gem? Like you? Is it because I still little?"
"No, it's because you're human like your mom, and like (y/n), and I'm not."
"But...you look like us."
"Well, yes, but my body is made out of light. I can turn into anything I want to. I probably look human since I was made on Earth, where humans live. But, I still kind of stick out because of my skin." Millie touched my cheek, tracing the stripe that went across it.
"That why you orange?" I nodded, and Millie giggled, putting her hands on my shoulders again. "Does (y/n) know?"
"Of course she does. But you can't tell your mommy, alright?" She nodded, smiling at me.
"It's our secret, right?"
"Yes, it is. Are you ready to go back to your room now?"
"...no. It's dark!"
"So what do you want to do?" Millie fidgeted with the collar of my t-shirt, seeming to be thinking.
"Can we go to (y/n)'s room? I don't want you to be squished on the chair with me." I was surprised that she cared enough about my comfort to suggest going to an actual bed.
"I can take you in there, but I don't think (y/n) would like it if I was in there."
"But I want you to come too...," Millie said, giving me a pout, her eyes misty with tears. I sighed, pulling her to my chest as I stood up.
"I can't say no to that face..." The little girl giggled, knowing she had won. I slowly walked towards the stairs, beginning to ascend them. I stopped in front of (y/n)'s door, twisting the knob. Locked. I sighed, setting Millie onto the floor. "Her door is locked, so I have to do something right quick. Stay right here, alright?" Millie nodded, stepping back a little bit as she stared at the door. I transformed as small as I could, sliding under the crack between the door and the floor. Regaining my original form on the other side of the door, I turned to look at (y/n), who was sleeping soundly at the edge of her bed, curled into a ball. Storm was in her bed as well, her tail wrapped around her body. The sound of Millie whining from the other side of the door caught my attention, and I quickly unlocked and opened the door, picking her up. "Hey, hey, I'm right here. I wasn't going to leave you." The little girl sniffed, clinging to me as I closed the door and locked it again, walking over to the bed in the middle of the room. She must have gotten scared since it's dark in the hallway. I placed her down in the bed beside the sleeping woman, climbing in after I had done so. (Y/n) turned in her sleep, exhaling through her nose before she was still again. I adjusted the covers over Millie and myself, sighing as I felt my body beginning to relax. Millie crawled over to me, burying her face in my side. I smiled, wrapping my arms around her as sleep consumed me again.