Chapter 43: Space Exploration (First Mission)

Update (08/05/21): Grammatical errors were fixed, words were changed, etc.

     Garnet led you and Steven to the nearest warp pad as quickly as she could. You and Steven followed swiftly behind her, stepping onto the structure before light surrounded the four of you. You appeared back in Steven's house, Pearl sitting on the floor in front of you. "This can't be happening...," Steven said quietly. You glanced over at him with a worried expression on your face, looking back up at Pearl when she spoke.
    "Steven! You're back", the pale gem said, standing.
    "Hey, Stevo," Amy said, peeking around the corner. Sarge came from behind her, running to you. You giggled, bending down to pet him.
   "We're so sorry about earlier...," Pearl apologized.
   "Forget that! We have to catch up with her", the half-gem yelled, his voice filled with worry.
    "What," Pearl asked.
    "Who," Amethyst asked quickly after.
   "Blue Diamond," you and Garnet said at the same time.
    "Blue Diamond," Pearl spoke loudly, beginning to freak out. "On Earth," she finished after she stopped pacing.
    "Holy smokes! They're all coming outta the woodwork", Amethyst said, making you chuckle.
   "A-Amethyst...turn into a chair. I-I need to sit down", Pearl stuttered, leaning against the purple quartz.
    "She took Dad! She alien-abducted him! And it's all my fault", Steven yelled, burying his fingers in his hair.
    "Hey, it isn't your fault, Steven. Blue Diamond took him off of her own accord", you reassured, grabbing his shoulder.
    "She took Greg," Amethyst asked, a confused look on her face.
    "Our Greg?" You shook your head at Pearl's question, letting out a sigh.
   "What other Greg is there? How are we gonna get him back," Amy yelled.
    "What does she even want him for? To eat him? To put him in a zoo," Steven asked frantically.
    "I don't think she'd eat him, Steven, but the zoo thing sounds more believable," you mused, sitting on the edge of the warp pad.
   "Wait...that might be it", Pearl said, looking over at you. "There was uh...no, no. It can't possibly still exist. Not since we—"
   "That's right," Garnet exclaimed, cutting Pearl off. "Pink Diamond's insidious human zoo."
   "Wait, there's actually a human zoo somewhere out in space," you blinked, looking up at the fusion.
   "During her reign on Earth, Pink Diamond stole humans from their families. As trophies of her conquests", Garnet explained.
    "You've gotta be kidding."
    "I'm with Amy," you added. "Clearly she wasn't as great as Jasper made her out to be..."
   "Oh no. It was very serious", Pearl confirmed, glancing at everyone. "When I still served—Homeworld. I saw it myself. A private menagerie deep in space. Humans in captivity. We were never able to rescue them! We had no way to get to them after the war", the pale gem said, hardly ever taking a breath. Why did she pause after telling us who she served, you thought, narrowing your eyes slightly, but decided to ignore it for the time being. "But—that was over five thousand years ago..."
   "You really think Greg's there," Amethyst asked, looking up at Pearl.
   "Steven," the pale gem said, catching the boy's attention, "Blue Diamond wanted him alive?"
    "Yes...yes! She liked him!"
    "I can't think of anywhere else she'd put him if she wanted to keep him. That's if the zoo's still there", Pearl validated, basically sealing the location for their mission.
   "It's our only chance," Steven said, clenching his fists. "But—how're we going to get there?"
    "With the roaming eye," Garnet answered. You furrowed your eyebrows, standing again.
   "The ruby ship," Amethyst asked. You glanced back at the fusion again, waiting for her response.
    "That's right. We're going into space, and we're not coming back—without. Greg." You gulped slightly at her tone of voice, adjusting your bag around you.
   "Well, I hope everything works out for you guys, and I hope you get your dad back, Steven," you said, smiling at the teenage boy softly.
   "(N/n), why are you saying that," Amy asked, raising an eyebrow at you. "You're coming with us, aren't you?"
   "I-I figured you guys wouldn't want me in the way," you said softly, taking a step back to look at the Crystal Gems. "I'm only human after all, and I don't have anyone to watch Sarge for me if all of you are going."
    "You're coming with. You've proven so far to be a great asset to our team, even if you don't follow orders", Garnet said with a chuckle, adjusting her visors. You blushed softly, giggling.
    "I only wanted to keep Steven safe...I'm sorry", you said, rubbing the back of your neck.
    "Don't be. Come along, we have a ship to fetch", the fusion said, stepping off of the warp pad and beginning to make her way to the door with everyone in tow.