Chapter 21: The Trip - Part Two

Update (11/15/21): Grammatical errors were fixed.

Mini A/N – So, as you can see, I'm starting to run out of titles here lol. If you guys want to suggest titles for chapters, go right ahead and I might even change them! Also, I don't know if you all like when I add pictures for outfits throughout the story, but I like to add that visual sometimes. Let me know what you think ❤️ Enjoy the chapter!

"Hello," you asked after answering your phone.
"Sweetie, did you forget you were supposed to make your way over here today?" You balanced your phone between your ear and shoulder, using your hands to lock up the bookstore for the night.
"No, Mom, I didn't forget. I know it's Wednesday, July first." Your mother sighed from the other end of the phone in relief.
"Okay, good. When are you going to leave?"
"As soon as I get home. I'm walking down the boardwalk now, and I already told Jasper and the others to be ready by the time I got home."
"'The others'?" You cursed under your breath, running your fingers through your (h/c) hair.
"I'm sorry, Ma, I forgot to let you know...a friend of mine came by the house a couple of days ago, and she's been staying with Jasper and me, along with her child."
"She has a baby?!" You grimaced, holding your phone away from your ear momentarily from your mother's exclamation.
"Yes, she's three, and very well behaved. I can't just leave them at my house by themselves, so I was planning on letting them come along. I hope that's okay..." Your mom sighed, silent on the other end of the phone for a minute. "Mom?"
"Yeah, I'm still here. And it's okay. You should have made sure to let me know sooner, though—like, where are they going to sleep?! I only have two bedrooms in my penthouse. Sure, they are large, but there are only two beds in the spare room."
"I know, I know," you said, shifting your phone to your other ear. You then stuck your key into the door, unlocking it. "We'll figure that junk out when we get there. I'm about to walk in the house and get everyone together, and then we'll leave. I'll see you soon."
"Okay, sweetheart. Love you! Kiss Jasper for me!" You rolled your eyes playfully, pushing the door open.
"Okay, Mom, I will." Your mother gasped on the other end of the line, screeching afterward. You pulled the phone away from your ear once more, chuckling.
"No argument this time?! Oh my gosh, have you guys already kissed or something without telling me?"
"What?! No", you exclaimed, blushing as you put your keys down on the kitchen island.
"Mhm. Well, I'll get outta your hair. I'll see you soon, babe...bye, bye."
"Bye, Mom." You ended the call, setting your phone next to your keys. You sighed, leaning against the kitchen island as you crossed your arms. Jasper sat on the couch, her arms slung over the back and her legs propped up on the coffee table. You gave a short laugh through your nose, pushing yourself off of the counter and walking up to the couch. "Jasper," you called, about to get onto her about having her feet on the table, but she didn't answer you. You raised an eyebrow, walking around the couch to see that she was asleep. She was wearing a white crop top with the sleeves rolled up to her shoulders and a pair of dark blue distressed jeans with tears at the knees. Her look was completed with her black Timberlands and one sleeping toddler. Millie was curled into a ball in her lap, wearing a light pink romper adorned with roses. I wonder how Jasper reacted to her outfit, you thought, smiling softly.
"Cute, aren't they?" You turned your head, watching as Kehlani made her way down the last couple of stairs. She had on a low-cut white blouse with dark blue shorts that stopped mid-thigh and black sandals that roped around her calves.
"Yeah...I see you and Jasper are matching", you said jokingly. Kehlani giggled, flipping her long hair over her shoulder.
"It wasn't intentional. But you could always match Millie." You giggled, looking back down at the pair.
"Yeah, true. I was planning on changing clothes anyway. It felt like the A/C in the bookstore wasn't working or something, so I was boiling in there." You then walked back into the kitchen, grabbing your phone to take upstairs with you. "Wake Jasper for me, will you? I still have to pack the rest of my clothes."
"No need. Jasper did it for you." Your eyes widened, a slight blush forming on your face.
"Did she now?" Kehlani nodded, walking over to plop herself down on your beanbag.
"Yeah. She was focused on cleaning the entire house once you left. Including your room. So...while she was in there, she finished packing your bag and then came back down to play with Millie for a while. And then the two of them fell asleep", your best friend finished with a shrug. You glanced over at Jasper, examining her peaceful face.
"Well...all I need to do is wash up real quick then. But still, she needs to get up, so can you do that," you asked, about to make your way upstairs.
"U-Uh, (y/n)? I — kinda don't want to try that again", Kehlani said nervously, jogging to your side.
"Why not?"
"When I tried waking up her earlier, my life flashed before my eyes. I mean, I'm not necessarily complaining. The intimidation was beyond sexy. It took a while for the throbbing between my legs to cease..." You cringed, furrowing your eyebrows.
"T.M.I." Kehlani laughed, holding onto your arm.
"I'm sorry! She's just so, so attractive. I need to know your secret."
"My secret?"
"Yeah, girl! I know she really likes Millie, but she's a baby, and I can't be a baby, obviously. But she likes you too. I want that, but it seems like the flirting isn't really working out for me. Like, on Sunday, all you two were doing was training, and she straddled you. And then she wanted you to give her a massage that she seemed to be enjoying a lot based on the sounds she was making", Kehlani finished with a shiver. You blushed, your mouth going kind of dry.
"I-I think you're just thinking too much into it, Kehlani. Jasper and I are just friends."
"Whatever you want to call it, I want that. Put in a good word for me or something! Or at least tell me about the first time you met and how you two became friends so I can try and reciprocate it." You chuckled, walking back over to the couch with Kehlani in tow.
"Well, she tried to kill me the first time we met, so you're getting somewhere. The next big thing we shared would have been our past...," you trailed off at the end, stopping beside the gem's legs. "And after that, my mom kinda got her drunk, and she's a lot more friendly then so — maybe you should try talking to her more during the Fourth of July party. Don't be super flirty, just...be yourself, I guess." Kehlani hugged your neck, giving you a sloppy kiss on the cheek.
"Oh, thank you! I'll take all that into consideration. And I'll just...kinda watch what you do and bounce off of that." You giggled, wiping your cheek.
"Alright. First things first—wake Jasper up." Kehlani hid behind you, clenching your shoulders. You reached out towards Jasper, about to shake her shoulder, but you paused, turning to look at your best friend curiously. "What exactly did you do to try and wake her up?"
"I just shook her shoulder and called her name like a normal person would."
"Bet."
"Don't tell me you're about to do that," Kehlani whined. You chuckled, shaking the gem's shoulder.
"Jasper, wake up," you said in an annoying voice. You poked her cheeks, gem, down her arms, and then her stomach, the only response gained being a groan.
"Is her stomach hard," Kehlani whispered from behind you as you continued to shake Jasper's shoulder. You laughed, smacking the gem's thigh.
"I gotchu. Just hold on, and follow my lead." Your best friend nodded, leaning against the chair arm.
"Are you quite done poking at me," Jasper said huskily, cracking one of her amber eyes open.
"There she is," you exclaimed, sitting next to her on the sofa. Jasper rolled her eyes, stretching before removing her legs from the table.
"How was your day," she asked you, handing over the still sleeping Millie. You cradled the child in your arms for a moment before giving her to a nervous-looking Kehlani.
"It was good. I hear that your day was pretty busy. Were you nice to Kehlani?"
"My kindness only runs so thin, Shortcake," Jasper said, yawning. "But she's alive, so I think I was nice enough." You giggled, shaking your head as you stood.
"Stop being rude. Why don't you help get Storm's stuff together while I go wash up and change really quick?" Jasper sighed, tossing her head back in frustration. She then reached out to you like a child would if they wanted to be picked up. You sighed with a smile, offering your hands to the gem. She took ahold of them, and you pulled her up, straining loudly for dramatic effect. "Damn, I think you put on a couple of pounds, Jasper," you said, panting as you leaned against your knees.
"Where? There's not an inch of fat on me." You looked over the gem's body, resting a hand against your chin as if you were in thought.
"Well...I'd say right about here", you replied, patting Jasper's stomach.
"I think you might be touch blind."
"I'm not! Look, Kehlani, come here", you said, ushering your best friend over. She balanced Millie on her hip, walking to your side. "Feel here. Jasper's getting fat." You winked subtly at her, and she reached out with her free hand, feeling along Jasper's abdomen, and tracing part of her V-line.
"No...I-I think you might be touch blind for real best friend", she said, taking her hand away and biting her index finger. You shrugged, beginning to walk towards the stairs.
"Oh well...'tis a hard life for someone like me", you said dramatically, resting the back of your hand on your forehead.
"I think she's gone nuts. The hours are getting to her", you heard Jasper whisper to Kehlani. Your best friend giggled, agreeing with the gem. You smiled softly and continued up the stairs, the sound of their conversation fading.