Chapter 46: Space Exploration (Second Mission [?])

You sighed heavily as you put the last dish you had washed into the rack, wiping your hands on the towel slung over your shoulder. It had been almost a month since you had spoken to Garnet about Jasper's "glowing" problem. You chuckled, shaking your head as you inhale through your nose. You tossed the drying towel onto the counter, resting your elbows against the surface. I can't believe it's been over a year now since I met Jasper... A small smile rested over your lips as you stared out your screendoor at the sand. You could faintly see you and Jasper sitting on the patio talking, Storm in the sand in front of the two of you. When you blinked, another scene flashed before your eyes of you and the gem sparring. Jasper pinned you to the ground, her foot on your chest and hand pinning yours above your head. She smirked, looking down at you before turning her head, looking directly at you through the door. You gasped, taken aback by her behavior. The quartz made her way up the patio steps and towards you. You straightened your posture, about to speak to her, but she turned to dust right before your eyes. You gasped again upon feeling something cold against your calf, only to look down and see Sarge. You smiled at your dog, scratching behind his ears. I must have dozed off or something... Sarge huffed, gaining your attention. You laughed at his facial expression, pushing your (h/c) away from your forehead. "I am a bit distracted, aren't I?" Your puppy whined, shaking, his collar clattering against itself. "Maybe I should go and get some coffee", you mused as you stood up, going to the door to fetch your shoes. You grabbed Sarge's leash and your keys, whistling for him as you unlocked and opened the door. He came trotting over, allowing you to put on his leash. You then walked outside, breathing in the salty, sea air. You locked the front door behind you, stepping onto the warm sand. "Come on, boy", you said, gently pulling on Sarge's leash. He walked beside you down the beach, his tail wagging upon seeing the Big Donut. You giggled, looking down at him as you approached the door. When you looked back up, you quickly stopped in your tracks, almost running into a teenage boy with dark hair. "Oh! I'm sorry." He turned to look at you, his shades glistening.
"No worries", he said with a gentle smile, holding the door open for you. You gave him a smile back, walking over the threshold. You saw Steven sitting on a stool in front of the counter, a pumpkin-shaped...something in front of him.
"B-B-B-Buck Dewey", Lars stuttered, quickly taking the pumpkin dish off of the counter.
"Hey, Steven", you called, letting go of Sarge's leash to get your coffee. Your puppy ran over to the curly-haired boy, placing his front paws on his lap. Steven giggled, petting him.
"Hey, (y/n)! Hey, Buck!"
"Hey, Steven. Hey, doughnut kids", you heard Buck say as he stopped in front of the counter, hands in his pockets. You chuckled at his greeting to Sadie and Lars, turning to face the coffee pot and styrofoam cups.
"Hi, Buck! What's up? How's it going? What'll it be", Lars said loudly, his voice kind of high-pitched. The words came out of his mouth so quickly, you couldn't help but look over at the counter as you poured your coffee into a cup.
"I want to order...you—to come to dinner. Me, Jenny, and Sour Cream are having a potluck. You know? Like parents do. Except we'll be doing it. All three of you should come. You should bring some food because that's what you do at a potluck. It's so funny", Buck said, his voice as soft as usual. Lars laughed anxiously, visibly sweating. You chuckled, putting a cap on your coffee after you had finished preparing it the way you liked.
"That is funny, Buck! It sounds great! Supa cool! Can't wait! Bingo Bongo", Lars said, making gun hands.
"Cool", Buck replied with a light smile, walking out of the Big Donut. You approached the counter as soon as the door closed, shaking your head when Lars began to groan loudly, his hands covering his face.
"'Bingo bongo'? Where did I even learn that", the teenager shouted, obviously distraught.
"Yeah! Bingo bongo", Steven said excitedly, throwing his hands in the air. "This is gonna be great!" Sarge's tail wagged in reaction to Steven's excitement, gently hitting your leg.
"Hey, yeah, this is perfect! You won't believe us when we say we like your cooking, but you'll have to believe it when it's coming from Buck", Sadie added, looking over at her coworker. Lars closed his eyes, slowly sinking until his face was pressed against the counter. "Uh...Lars?"
"I'm not going", he mumbled, not even sitting up.
"What? Y-You just got invited to a party with the cool kids", the blonde shouted. "Isn't that what you've always wanted? If anyone shouldn't go, it's me...but they know you. They like you!"
"Nuh-uh. Nobody knows me", Lars said, sitting up slightly and looking at Sadie, "And nobody knows I can bake."
"Well...I do. And he does", she said, gesturing at Steven. "And (y/n) knows now too!" Sarge barked, nuzzling against Steven. The young teen laughed, petting the black dog in front of him.
"Sarge knows too", he said with a chuckle. "Lars, you should make this your big debut!"
"Well...", Lars groaned, "then it has to be perfect." You sipped your coffee, nodding slowly as everyone stared at you.
"Oh! I'm sorry, (y/n), would you like to order anything by chance", Sadie asked, pushing herself off of the counter.
"Oh, by all means, don't apologize", you said with a chuckle. "This was all very entertaining. But, yes, I would like a hotdog for Sarge, and a few glazed donuts for myself." Sadie nodded once, turning around to bag your items.
"Hey! (Y/n), you should come to the potluck with us! I'm sure Buck wouldn't mind", Steven said, smushing Sarge's face in his hands. You giggled, taking your paper bag from Sadie, and unzipping your mini-wallet on your keyring.
"I think I'm a little too old to invite myself to the potluck Buck is throwing with Jenny and Sourcream. I'm not a teenager anymore, Steven", you explained, handing Sadie your card.
"Wait, really", Lars asked, resting his hand against his cheek. You laughed, taking your card back from the blonde girl and putting it away.
"How old do you think I am, Lars?" He blushed, scratching the back of his head. You smirked, leaning slightly against the counter.
"Well, uh...I kind of assumed you were maybe nineteen."
"That is terribly sweet..."
"How old are you then, (y/n)", Sadie asked curiously.
"Twenty-four", you replied, petting Sarge's head. He had pushed himself off of Steven and put his front paws on the counter. He sniffed the bag with your donuts in it, trying to grab it. You grabbed his collar, pulling on it gently to grab his attention. Your puppy huffed, whining.
"Twenty-four...", you heard Steven gently question. The young teen then gasped loudly, slapping his hands against his cheeks. "Oh no! Did I miss your birthday?!" You chuckled, ruffling his hair.
"I think you were with Lapis and Peridot that day. Trying to work things out with another gem or something."
"That still doesn't excuse the fact that I missed it", Steven pouted, slouching on the stool.
"It's fine, Steven", you said with a light laugh. "I didn't celebrate anyway. There's always next year, bud." The half-gem crossed his arms and sighed, looking away from you. You exhaled through your nose, giving him a slight smile. "Have fun at the potluck, Steven. You too, guys", you said to Lars and Sadie before picking up Sarge's leash and walking towards the door. "Oh, and Lars?" He perked up when you called his name, looking up at you. "I'm sure whatever you make will be great." He smiled, rubbing the back of his neck.
"Thanks..."