The Ball (Part I): Greetings

It was the day of the Ball and Marie arrived together with Melanie, who, on the way, was telling her about the people she should greet and how to act around them. Marie was very nervous, since this counts as her official debutante.

The doors to the ballroom opened, and Melanie entered first, then, behind her tall stature, hid Marie. Marie was quite impressed with the ballroom's size. The empty and abandoned ball room was very small, and didn't look very elegant, but this was such a grand place.

Melanie pushed Marie next to her, and everybody's shifted to, compared to Melanie, small girl, with wavy, honey blonde hair and plain dress, standing next to Melanie. Of course, they did not know who Marie is, this is her debutante after all.

Melanie started to greet everyone at the ballroom, and so did Marie. Most people did not even know the Empire had a 10th princess, and they made some-what hurtful remarks.

Marie, not even looking at the persons face, bowed the same time as Melanie.-Greetings, Princess Melanie.-A familiar voice spoke out.

-Greetings, Duke Austin.-Melanie responded. Out of curiosity, Marie looked up. -This is Princess Marie. -Melanie introduced Marie to Austin. Both Austin and Marie, were looking at each other with an awkward expression, while also thinking, 'So that's her/his name'. Melanie moved on, and Marie followed, but not breaking eye contact with Austin until the time came to greet the next person.

Though Austin greeted her at the entrance when she fist came, he did not know her name. He was even speculating her not being an actual princess. But seeing her with princess Melanie was the most surprising thing.

Marie, on the other hand, only knew him as a nobleman. But she was more worried about how he knew of her antics at the knights hq. She was more than sure he knew about her stealing the report. She just hoped he had no evidence to arrest her.

After a few more greetings, Melanie greeted with another princess, named Jane. -Greetings, Melanie. -She said. Everyone else Melanie and Marie greeted, had used her title 'princess'. Jane, did not. -Who is......this....?-She added. Jane was clearly talking about Marie.

-Greetings. I am Marie Pierce. -Marie greeted herself. She bowed, and then smiled at Jane. Though, Jane did not reflect a smile, she scowled. She then, glanced at the two girls beside her, and then smiled and asked,-Would you like to join our conversation?-She asked.

Marie looked over to Melanie, for her advice, she smiled and ushered her to have a conversation with them. Marie obliged, and the 4 of them joined a group of 5 other ladies in a room separate of the ballroom.

Marie sat down in an unoccupied armchair, along with the other ladies. And the following conversation ensued:

-It is just terrible what happened to poor Princess Annabelle! -Lady Lera mentioned in passing.

-Oh, yes, how terrible!-Another lady added.

-There was nothing we could do, but comfort her!-

-But, don't you think we could have helped of finding her?-Marie added to their conversations. The ladies heads turn, looking at Marie with the look they would give to a cockroach who is dying at the hands of their butlers.

-Are you making a joke? If you are, it is very insensitive.-Lady Pepper responded.

Marie quickly tried to defend her words,-Oh no! It was not a joke! I meant, that there's something we could've done to help find the princess.-

-Help? What could we help with? -Jane asked.

-Um...the investigation?-Marie asked, unsure if that was the right answer. It wasn't.

-Ha! The investigation? Have you even studied theology? Thought so! If we tried to butt in, we would only cause extra trouble to deal with.-Lady Arista scoffed at Marie.

She was right. In that very moment. Everything that Marie has dis flooded into her head....

The conversation moved on, and Marie was silent for the rest of the time.