Through the carriage window

Maire's POV

As I see the carriage with the royal family crest on it's side ride up to the gates of the manor, I get more and more scared. Kate grabbed my hand, and squeezing it tight, to calm me down. It was really hard to control my tears.

I let go of Kate's hand and walked toward the carriage. I take a good look at the front yard, as I won't be able to see it for a while now. 

I was greeted by a guard and was seated in the carriage. It was quite weird being in one. I have never rode one before, since we couldn't afford it, but also because i had no reason to go anywhere.

My stomach felt weird. I have never met my father nor my siblings so I am pretty nervous, and the constant rattling of the carriage doesn't help me. 

I've never really felt like a princess at all in my life, more like a country-noble, but I liked being a country-noble princess. I am nothing compared to my siblings, I didn't really have a proper education, I had just learnt the basics. Though, I know a few different things of politics, economy and finance, since book about them were available at the library. 

The carriage ride as at least a few hours long, so I have a bit of time before we get there. Since the whole royal family will be staying a the royal palace, it will be packed. I couldn't bring Kate, since the maids quarters are full and there is no need for them to stay or come with. But i had gotten used to them being with me every day, it's very lonely. 

As hours pass, I begin to feel more and more anxious, but what else is there to think about?

Then, I could see out the carriage window, that we had arrived in a very big city, compared to Quta, the small port city that I lived in. The streets could fit two whole carriages, the houses were so close together you would think they were part of the same building! There were so many people on the street, in the shops, people peeping through their windows, and for some reason, they were all.....staring at...me. 

I quickly closed the carriage window. I bet it must not be a common occurrence to see a carriage with the royal family crest on it riding down the street, is it? I am not a fan of attention, I just want to lay low. 

Another hour passed, and I couldn't be more amazed by how big the city is. But, the one thing that had my jaw drop, was the royal castle, or more like, castles. Upon a hill, lied many castles, in many different colors. They were huge, and the people standing next to it looked like little ants from this distance.

I can't believe....this is going to be my home....